HELP! Black spots on clown

E36EB750-4A89-41BC-91EE-830FC92468B0.jpeg Hey all,

I know there have been several topics on “black spots on clown fish” which I have had a read through during the day.

Really I’m putting this up just to be on the safe side and clarification, so please accept my apologies for adding another topic that has already been covered.

Anyways, last night I noticed some black spots on my larger clown and a couple on my smaller clown (they are a pair).

Reading up on sone of the threads this could be black ich (although it doesn’t seem to match some of the descriptions/photos I’ve seen) or starting big marks from corals.

The pair are not host in any corals, and basically shake and swim with each other around and on top of a living rock cave. I do have a variety of corals (although I dont know what ones can sting and what ones can’t - newbie lol)

My other theory is possibly from aiptasia, as I have about 8 of these that have managed to grow quickly (currently looking at the best way for me to get rid of them)

So really I’m looking for a bit of advise on whether you think this is black ich, sting marks or another reason!

Please have a look at the attached photo and let me know your thoughts/recommendations.

All parameters are good and salt is at 1025
All fish eating well

Again many thanks for your help (again)

Kind regards

Little smudge

DaveK

Often such black spots are from bring stung by an anemone, and I would suspect the aiptasia.
This could also be black ick, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Do they seem to heal over time?
Are they getting worse?

Either way, get rid of the aiptasia as soon as possible.

"All parameters are good..." doesn't tell us anything. Although this doesn't seem to be a water quality issue.

Uncle99

Black Ick?
More like a small type of flatworm, Ick is a totally different parasite.
You have to be real careful. Based on your photos, stings from some soft corals in my experience are somewhat larger these look like black tiny dots which suggest worm. That being said, if the fish is not distressed, becoming less active or not eating, leave it alone. Watch carefully and see if more spots are developing. I am assuming that the spots are newly developed as some clowns have coloration dots as part of their breeding with others, that's how designers came to be which is not a good thing in my thinking. The only treatment of the worms I know of is a fresh water dip. If you do this, all changes are stressful so read carefully on the FW procedure. It would be interesting and helpful if you could give us some feedback sometime later.

Guys thank you very much for the feedback. A few days on and the black dots don’t seem to have got any worse. Both clowns still eating very well and very active. I’ve not noticed any change in behaviour in either, especially the larger female(as I’ve been paying most attention to).

I will carry on keeping an eye on them.

Again thank you for the information, as always it’s extremely helpful.

Ohh I’ll be posting some new photos of my aquarium on my other thread, just letting people see how it’s progressed over the past couple of months

Uncle99

Sorry I forgot to mention that I hadn’t noticed these previous to me posting.

I’ve also got rid of all the aiptasia using aiptasia X by Red Sea

Uncle99

Perfect!
Glad to hear but keep a watchful Eye on her just in case.
When they display normal behavior, eat and are active, whatever this actually is not an immediate concern. A fish with a disease will go downhill quickly and become lethargic, lose lateral line, (aka swims on side) headstands, loss of appetite or any combination.
So far, she displays none of these.
Keep us posted, a read a lot about this black Ick thing....bad choice of words cause it's not Ick at all.....that I am aware of....rather a worm which is no where near Ick....which can be total wipeout if not controlled.

Quick update:

5 days in since I got rid of the aiptasia X and monitoring the female, I’ve not noticed any increase or decrease in the black dots.

Both still very active and eating. No signs of irregular swimming or headstanding (thanks to uncle99 for explaining that one to me lol).

So I’m going to put up a photo of the corner of the aquarium the pair hang out in. You’ll be able to see closer the soft corals that are in close proximity - leather coral - mushroom.

I’ve been trying to find out if these sting or whether they just conduct “chemical warfare” with other corals. I was wondering if they was just releasing g chemicals, could this be having an effect in the clowns and not direct stings.

I’m trying not to ignore the fact that something may not be right (otherwise there wouldn’t be black spots) and get into a mind set of “they are eating and swimming fine, they must be ok”

Anyways, I’ve rambled on as always haha, let me know your thoughts

5A78E4D5-CB24-4511-A657-2E5055F2EB33.jpeg

Uncle99

First off very nice tank, clowns are stunning.
Assuming it's a sting, ( my guess is those now defunct apastia) then the problem would not worsen.
So I see a nice leather fully extended, and a large mushroom. None of these use chemical ware fare, but the mushroom could be a suspect for sting....but I have never experienced this....I would think the clown will have learned what stung him and be wary. Since the clowns appear normal, one is void of the same dots I would just watch. A sting from the outside would "bleed" and may look like a black dot. So if no more dots, no change in behavior, the other one does not develop same.....all is in balance. If it was easy to move the mushroom, I might consider this to see if the clowns "move" with it, like a host, clowns are famous for "hosting" corals when no anenome is present. (And when it is present)
That my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Uncle99

Sorry, missed the smaller tree type coral.
I dont know this coral so let's just assume it may sting as well...maybe someone can help us with that....Anyways....you could experiment with that one as well and move it to see what happens.

Uncle99

Perfect, the whole point us to establish if your clowns are hosting a coral and if so which one. Still think he learned his lesson! LOL

Enjoy your tank!

It wasn’t named when I bought the coral - but since then I’ve been reading up on it and I believe it to be a Kenya leather tree coral. This e you see in the photo was little branches that broke off so I placed them there to grow. I now just chuck them when they break off because there are dozens of them now ( someone referred them as being the marine equivalent of a garden weed and will spread like crazy)

Although saying that I maybe completely wrong with my identification haha

Uncle99

Nope, you are right, Kenya tree.
I don't see it as an issue. I stick with apastia, followed by mushroom.
Apastia has powerful sting. Likely why it can take over a reef quickly.
LFS famous for apastia transfer.

When you find, you kill.

I was amazed at the aiptasia X by Red Sea - couple of drops on the disc then watch it shrink in then a few seconds later explode haha ohh and my two cleaner shrimps was loving it after I finished :-D

Uncle99

Just a follow up note on your clowns.
Have the spots got worse, same or better?
Hope all is well, just curious.....

Hey uncle99

They seem to be disappearing - I would say there are maybe 6-7 left on one side and 2-3 on the other, so much better than it was. Still not entirely sure what it was but it seemed to start clearing up when I got rid of the aiptasia.

I bought a new addition to the tank and he/she is doing great and gets on really well with all the other fish.

I did a bit of research on him first and although they can peck at corals, so far I’ve not witnessed this or see any damage, other than a few chunks out of some menecing sponge algue which was starting to take over.

Ohh it’s a mimic filefish

Photos goi g up now on my main thread :)