Black hair-ish algae that won't go away

Hello!

I currently have a 10 gallon freshwater (3.5 years old) and a 34 gallon saltwater (1.5) years old. Recently though I have been having problems with a black hair-like algae in my freshwater tank. I have an Albino Ancistrus (bristlenose pleco), a bunch of amano shrimp that I thought would help solve the problem, but the algae just keeps on growing. What can I do to stop it?

Thanks!

DaveK

That is the dreaded black beard algae. Yes, it's very undesirable. It can be very tough to get rid of it.

Before giving specific advice though, please tell us more about your tank, all the usual stuff applies. Do you have any other problems algaes? Also, are you keeping live plants in it? This make a big difference on how you deal with algae issues. Algae control in FW is a bit different from a reef, and there are a few more options.

Thanks! So right now, I have only live plants, I have a couple of small wooden pieces, and one rock for decoration. I have various fish including Harlequin Rasboras and Glowlight Tetras. I have no other algae problems.

Hopefully that helps narrow down the possibilities of solutions :)

Thanks!

DaveK

Here is a general article on dealing with it (offsite) - http://fishyaquaria.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/tackling-the-black-brush-algae-bba/

In addition, if your using pressurized CO2 for the plants you can increase that to about 30 ppm, but not everyone has that kind of equipment.

Since you keep live plants, another thing you can do is add more plants, to compete with the algae for food.

Now this is going to sound very wrong, if your use to dealing with reef systems, but live plants need fertilizers to really do well. You want to have a certain amount of nitrates and phosphates, and other nutrients. Here is an article on basics (offsite) - http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Fertilizers-in-a-Planted-Tank/1/ If you really want to get into fertilizers for plants, here is a place that sells small quantities of them (offsite) - http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/ Note that most of them are dry, and you make up your own stock solutions, but it's much less expensive than going to your LFS.

Some other things that are done for algae control in FW tanks.

Many kinds of algae need a long continuous period of light. To slow them down a bit some people run their lighting with a mid day break in it. 4 hours on, 2 off, 4 on, 14 off, every day.

Some times a 3 day black out will help a lot, although it may not do much to black beard algae, which is tough to kill. Cover the tank with a blanket for 3 full days, and let no light get in at all. Do not feed during this time.

Lastly, there are algaecides on the market, not unlike various red slime remover products for reefs. I don't recommend them.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Also, maybe more plants, or more light, or more flow. All will increase photosynthesis which will remove more nutrients from the water, which will help starve the algae.