Bizzare foods guy ate a 5 y/o clam!

So, when I wanna watch TV and there's nothing on of interest I go into my TVO and watch an episode of bizzare foods. Well this episode was in Samoa, he was taken to a clam farm where they pulled out a 5 year old clam trew it into a boat, lugged it back to shore (all the while talking about how beautiful it was), pryed it open and ate it! they cut up the flesh into marshmellow sized chunks and ate it raw. It's posted on youtube if anyone wants to see it.
I understand that people gotta eat, but... it's a clam, it's a pretty, beautiful clam that would look far better in my tank than in his mouth!
We should make a deal w/ Samoa, a herd of cattle, or a flock of chickens or something for the clams in the farm.
Makes me wish I sent over more food during the hurricane relief!

DaveK

I fail to see the problem.

The clam was aquacultured, so it not like taking a possibly endangered one from the reef.

I've eaten raw clams before, although they are more usual shellfish, not the giant ones. Just a bit smaller, so it need not be cut up first.

A clam is usually considered a less intelligent animal compared to cattle or chickens, and I would suspect producing clams has far less environmental impact.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I fail to see the problem.

The clam was aquacultured, so it not like taking a possibly endangered one from the reef.

I've eaten raw clams before, although they are more usual shellfish, not the giant ones. Just a bit smaller, so it need not be cut up first.

A clam is usually considered a less intelligent animal compared to cattle or chickens, and I would suspect producing clams has far less environmental impact.

I agree. Personally, I prefer my clam cooked but that's just me :D

It must just be me. It's been a dream of mine to get into this hobby and one day have clams. and now that I'm finally doing it, to see something like that just cruched me a little on the inside.

When I took my semester at sea, we did this at one of the places we made port. Anyhoo, all the students went out on this boat with a guy who was getting our dinner. They were mostly aquacultured specimen too except for the fish he caught. Anyhoo, he pulled up a conch and cut it up and had everyone eat a raw piece. I did but it was like eating rubber.