BioCube 29 gal. Setup and fish

azarrella3

Hi all,
I am a freshwater fish owner now and want to get into saltwater because of the amazingness of the fish! I am looking into the BioCube 29 Gallon tank, just for about 3 Clownfish and a small Goby and come crustaceans and whatnot. I was just wondering if this was the best investment because it is $280 for a 29 Gallon tank. Also, I am a little unsure on the process of setting up a new saltwater tank. Any and all advise is welcome!!

Thanks,
A.J.

jkenosh

a 29 is kinda small for 3 clowns my girlfriend has a 29 biocube and its nice and is prettty easy to maintain but she only has 1 clown fish in it and a bunch of corals and live rock

Cassette87

A biocube is a closed top, so no worries on the jumping. I have a 29 gallon, and have kept 2 ocellaris clowns and a starry blenny happy for years. I do have a Aqua C Remora skimmer though, so I'm not sure how it compares to the stock skimmer of a Biocube. That'll really be your make or break deal on your stock levels. :)

Welcome to RS!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

vubben

Can't say anything about the livestock since I'm extremely new to all this. FWIW I can say that the price, for that tank, doesn't seem bad assuming it's new, at least here in Canada. I've see retailers up here asking 230 just for the stand, and 450 for the tank. (figure that out!) The best price I've ever seen on that tank here "new" is 350. Not sure how all that translates to prices in the US as things tend to be cheaper there than here, but again, FWIW.

Randy

azarrella3

Thanks for all the input. Here is what it looks like I am getting, feel free to weigh in and comment!!

-BioCube 29 Gallon $250.00
-BioCube 29 gallon Stand $120.00
-BioCube Replacement Filter Cartridges $7.00
-Instant Ocean Hydrometer $9.00
-Petco real Ocean Water (30 Gallons) $60.00
-Live Rock Fiji Premium (44 lbs.) $128.00
-Oceanic BioCube Protein Skimmer **** $35.00
-Oceanic BioCube Circulation Aquarium Pump $25.00
-Oceanic BioCube Mini Ultraviolet Sterilizer $70.00
-Nature’s Ocean marine White Sand (30 lbs.) $21.00
-JBJ True Temp Heating System w/ Controller & Titanium Heating Element $100.00
-Oceanic BioCube Ultraviolet Lamp (every 6 months) $40.00

****OR- Instant Ocean Seaclone Protein Skimmer $95.00

Thespivster

-BioCube 29 Gallon $250.00
-BioCube 29 gallon Stand $120.00
I got mine for $299 including the stand at North Dallas Aquarium.

-BioCube Replacement Filter Cartridges $7.00
You will not use these in a reef.

-Instant Ocean Hydrometer $9.00
Very innacturate. Get a refractometer instead.

-Petco real Ocean Water (30 Gallons) $60.00

-Live Rock Fiji Premium (44 lbs.) $128.00

-Oceanic BioCube Protein Skimmer **** $35.00
BOTH of these skimmers are a waste of time. Minimum skimmer would be a Tunze 9002. or Red Sea Remora HOB skimmer.

-Oceanic BioCube Circulation Aquarium Pump $25.00
If this is for the Biocube skimmer, skip it...the skimmer comes packaged with one.

-Oceanic BioCube Mini Ultraviolet Sterilizer $70.00
Search this forum for info on UV. I think you will find that it is not needed.

-Nature’s Ocean marine White Sand (30 lbs.) $21.00

-JBJ True Temp Heating System w/ Controller & Titanium Heating Element $100.00
This is the best piece of hardware on your list ;)

-Oceanic BioCube Ultraviolet Lamp (every 6 months) $40.00
see above.

azarrella3

Thespivster, WOW! Thanks so much!!! I am going to look into the North Dallas Aquarium for the tank and stand, thanks for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!