Big problem with Salinity

Aearin

Hi guys I'm wondering if you can help me i've got a massive issue and i can't sleep til i've had some reassurance or it's been resolved.

Basically i've had my tank up and running for 4-5 weeks and had a problem from the start with evaporation. Not thinking, i've been topping up the tank with salt water when it should be normal ROwater as salt doesn't dissolve along with the water.

I always buy Pre-salted RO from my LFS as i test it all the time and it's always spot on so i've not purchased any normal RO.

I tested my water with my refractometer after i realised and i've got salt just above 1.030 so slightly off the scale.

So where i am now, 22:25, nowhere is open i've either got the option of putting in normal tap water for the sake of my livestock or if you guys think it will be ok til when the LFS opens in the morning and can reassure me i'll be fine i will hold on.

Thanks in advance (stupid mistake) :banghead:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I take it's been high for weeks so another 12 hours probably won't hurt anything. Then you need to reduce the level slowly by removing small amounts of saltwater and replacing with RO water. Don't rush this.

Aearin

Thanks Greg, was panicking cause i hadn't seen my Goby all night and the pistol shrimp was digging alone and i thought he'd croaked it. Finally he stuck his head out the other end. I thought this was the beginning of the end!

I'll start first thing tomorrow. What would you say, e.g. 10L every hour or so until it's down to level or stagger a few changes over a few days?

Thanks again mate

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would not drop it over hours, I would take days to do it.

pablomay28

Hi guys I'm wondering if you can help me i've got a massive issue and i can't sleep til i've had some reassurance or it's been resolved.

Basically i've had my tank up and running for 4-5 weeks and had a problem from the start with evaporation. Not thinking, i've been topping up the tank with salt water when it should be normal ROwater as salt doesn't dissolve along with the water.

I always buy Pre-salted RO from my LFS as i test it all the time and it's always spot on so i've not purchased any normal RO.

I tested my water with my refractometer after i realised and i've got salt just above 1.030 so slightly off the scale.

So where i am now, 22:25, nowhere is open i've either got the option of putting in normal tap water for the sake of my livestock or if you guys think it will be ok til when the LFS opens in the morning and can reassure me i'll be fine i will hold on.

Thanks in advance (stupid mistake) :banghead:

Before getting my RO system I would use drinking water from the water store or the water vending machines and never had an issue. That was on fish only aquariums. I highly recommend you get your own RO system from any of the reputable vendors such as BRS (bulk reef supply) you can get a good one for less than $200

I did the same thing pablomay. The 75g tank I had was running for 10+ years and I used Walmart Culligan water from the dispenser it was RO water.

david42

Get a TDS meter to check that store water. I never saw it below 10. Something in it was reacting to salt mix and making ammonia in my fresh mixed sw

sirrealism

yes distilled water is fine. Any other I would not use unless you have a TDS meter. But pablomay28 is right on. If your going to stay in the hobby buy an RODI unit. It will pay for it self over time and also gas money running to the LFS PLus you will save money on those spontaneous buys we all make when we just stopped for water. Plus just think No more jugs. No more spills in the back of your car. "No never happened to me" LOL Ask around and most will tell you its the best investment they made in this hobby and its great drinking water for your home to. Before i hooked my ro system up to the fridge my wife was going through 2 of those 36 bottle cases a week. Now none. I cant think of a negative accept a few dollars on your water bill

Snid

Whoa... I'd be very cautious with Distilled Water! Many of the places making Distilled Water are using copper pipes for the distilling process, which introduces trace amounts of copper into the water. As we know, copper is not a good friend to have in a reef system. Even if it is a very small amount, it can build up over time. I'd get a copper test kit and test the water before using it -or- just get RO water. ;)

Paul Taylor

I have a supply of distilled water that I bought for something other than the aquarium. Just out of interest I tested it and found it was full of silicates (over 6ppm). Also, due to my experiences with the LFS' supply of RO water the thing I have learned is:

:ofr: "Trust No One"

Test everything!

Danreef

I used distilled water from the supermarket during 6 months until I changed to NSW and no problems at all.