Bicolor Blenny problems

frisbee

I just added one of these fish to my tank a few weeks ago and I'm starting to notice these blemishes on my Sunset Montipora and a Jedi Mind Trick Montipora. I didn't think anything of it at first and then I saw the Blenny picking at them. Also, I just added a small Acropora frag yesterday and the Blenny went and picked at that as well. (within 5 minutes of adding it) I was just curious if this is normal behavior for these fish or not, being that I've never kept a Blenny before. Is there anything I should do or any precautions I should take etc? Thanks. :)

I just added one of these fish to my tank a few weeks ago and I'm starting to notice these blemishes on my Sunset Montipora and a Jedi Mind Trick Montipora. I didn't think anything of it at first and then I saw the Blenny picking at them. Also, I just added a small Acropora frag yesterday and the Blenny went and picked at that as well. (within 5 minutes of adding it) I was just curious if this is normal behavior for these fish or not, being that I've never kept a Blenny before. Is there anything I should do or any precautions I should take etc? Thanks. :)
They are herbivores.
Try feeding seaweed.
And they jump
Many known to nip at coral

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Hey @frisbee I also have a comb-tooth blenny that likes to scrape my montipora digitatas. The Genus Ecsenius of blennies is known to do this. Mine has been doing it for years. They are known to do this. They clear off a patch on the coral and then graze the film algae that grows in the spot where they scraped flesh off of. I've found if you keep an area of the glass where film algae can grow the fish will go for that spot more then the corals. I have a spot on the side of the tank left for the film algae to grow for the blenny.

Here is a good article that describes them being reef cautious b/c of the scraping of corals that they do: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/hcs3/

Here is one of my posts back when I was trying to figure out what was going on: Oxy's RSM250 Post #173. You can see the base of the monti digi where it was grazing at.

You can see where my blenny was scraping one of my corals here: Oxy's RSM250 on post #331. Look closely right next to where it is sitting in the pic. It has made a nice little patch where film algae is growing.

And for fun, my most recent post, a bit of a poetic rant: Oxy's RSM250 post#448.

Luckily the blenny is loved and thus I won't be getting rid of it.