BHazard's RSM 130D (2012 Revival)

bhazard

Hello everyone,

I originally started my RSM back in 2009, and it got to the point now where it was overrun with Xenia and I no longer liked the look of it. My old thread is still here too.

I decided to start over with the knowledge I've gained over the past several years. Changes I've made to the tank so far:

Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite sand (I hated the old crushed coral)
30lbs BRS Pukani Dry Rock (I love this stuff compared to the old Fiji)
Aquaticlife Mini Skimmer (The Tunze pump died and costs just as much as this unit)
Odyssea 250w Metal Halide light still running strong! I am replacing it with Chinese LEDs soon after the tank cycles however.
BRS 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage unit (This will help tremendously with the algae problems I used to have)
BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor (To help with Phosphates)
JBJ Oceanstream Wavemaker with 2 500gph pumps

I gave away all of my old coral and started anew. I'm about a week into the cycle/curing stage. I could not give away my fish, so I reluctantly transferred them to the new tank. The great news is they are all doing well, no deaths. I used a small layer of sand from the old tank to help seed and it looks like it helped tremendously. No smell from the dry rock, no measurable ammonia. I like this new design so much better, and the Pukani has tons of holes for frags.

Here's a pic:

IMG_20120505_174641-1.jpg

bhazard

I went with dry rock because my original Fiji from back in the day had coral eating Nudibranchs in it that ALWAYS seemed to respawn. No matter how many times I scooped one or two out, a few months later another full sized one would be found on the glass.

I will never trust LR again from a LFS, and prefer to seed with coral additions from major online stores such as saltwaterfish.com and pacific east aquaculture. I'm hoping to add one or two coral pieces to do this within the next week or two.

I will also NEVER buy another Xenia again. It COMPLETELY overtook my tank several times. I could never clean them enough to fully get rid of it. Lesson learned.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Xenia. Its means the devil in Latin.

........wet floors add character.

bhazard

Just added a BRS Rox Carbon/GFO mix reactor last night. Woke up this morning and the tank is the cleanest I've ever seen it in 3 years! Crystal clear water. Chemi-pure/Purigen in the rack could never get it this clean.

I'm going to run bio-pellets and Chaeto in the Intank rack along with this. I think this is the best combo by far for phosphate/nitrate control.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just added a BRS Rox Carbon/GFO mix reactor last night. Woke up this morning and the tank is the cleanest I've ever seen it in 3 years! Crystal clear water. Chemi-pure/Purigen in the rack could never get it this clean.

They do work good! Love mine as well!

bhazard

Added a wavemaker, CUC of snails, and a few corals. Starting to get the algae bloom. Phosphates are at 0.07.

The new LED fixture will be here by Tuesday. Here is what it looks like.

NewestA4.jpg

IMG_20120519_211221.jpg

IMG_20120519_211235.jpg

bhazard

I installed the LED lights the other day, 48x3w (running at 2w) blue and white dimmable. The fixture is excellent... High quality, high output, and cost 1/3 of what a Radion would cost. Unfortunately, I would need to replace the LED drivers inside to make it compatible with a controller. Just bought the Apex and will be installing soon.

fe4efc73.jpg

19c94a44.jpg

The camera can't capture full blue very well. Looks stunning in person.

51f1ab98.jpg

bhazard

Bought a Vortech MP10es memorial day weekend. Now I see what the fuss is all about.

The Vortech is light years better than any powerhead/wavemaker I've used. I'm loving all the different modes. It is quite a sight to see when your aquarium is making waves. The corals and the fish seem to love it too.