Bgouges Rsm 250 on zeovit

Bgouges

so ive had this tank established for a while now, just figured better late than never so ill start a tank thread. The tank is a rsm 250, which would have been up and running for roughly a year now. This tank was my entry into the hobby and as such i have addopted the reefing lifestyle, as i dive and fish it was only a matter of time before i ventured to the aquaculture of marine species. I also have a rsm130 that i have gone in a completely different approach but thats neither here nor there.

I have recently discovered the difficulty of SPS corals, and as they seem to be the biggest challenge i decided to give it a crack, as such the use of zeovit to maintain a low nutrient system, as well as refraining from feeding my fish (i like my fish fat) so i have cut back my feeding schedule.

The System

Rsm250 65gallon tank
LED lighting replaced the t5s all running by existing timer

I use Natural saltwater, and rodi water from a 3 stage unit for top up water.

Circulation is power by two eheim 3000s, and two vortech mp10s
Skimmer is an internal deltec mc500
ATO by a tunze osmolator

TLF 150 reactor
500ml zeolite
Powered by eheim 300

Use KZ carbon, as well as many other KZ additives
Ca,Mg and alk maintained by seachem fusion 1 & 2 and mg supp.

Water changes are large and done weekly as i beleive this is paramount to sucess, as such i change 30% every week

Heres a full tank shot, feel free to ask any questions and give any pointers :)

cheers for looking image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread and sharing your lovely tank with us ! Looks like your having great success and everything is happy !

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks really nice mate!!

Excellent to see another ZEOvit user on the forums too, there's a few of us around so feel free to share or ask as much as you can! :) How have you modified the 250 to run a zeovit reactor and such on the tank?

What fish have you got in the tank? :)

Bgouges

cheers guys,

wrangy i was checking out you build thread and that inspired me to get mine started :)

ahh lights are out at the moment but stocking of the top of my head goes a little something like this:

pair of false clowns
midas blenny
scooter blenny
bangai cardinal
firetail goby
tomini tang
royal gramma
blue tang
green mandarin

i run my reactor using a hang on bracket off the back of the sump, ive removed a rear fan in the left chamber (if looking strait at the tank) a eheim 300 sits on top of a eheim 1000 that feeds my chiller, and then the return is plumbed back into the far right chamber to ensure the reactor isnt just filtering the same water continuously.

i dose 0.2 ml zeostart twice a day, shake the reactor manually twice a day. i use a wide variety of supps,

i dose most supps every second day,
1ml amino acids lps
2 drops amino acids sps
2 ml c balance
2 ml stronium (occasionally testing and supp accordingly)
2 ml coral snow
2 drops potasium flouride
2 drops sponge power
2 ml pohls extra

my most recent project is attempting to buy sterile water from the chemist and mix it with zeostart so i can dose tiny amounts over the entire day rather than the two amounts twice daily, as the use of a dosing pump to maintain alk and calc was the greatest increase in visual coral health, at least i beleive the difference was fairly noticeable.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
cheers guys,

wrangy i was checking out you build thread and that inspired me to get mine started :)

ahh lights are out at the moment but stocking of the top of my head goes a little something like this:

pair of false clowns
midas blenny
scooter blenny
bangai cardinal
firetail goby
tomini tang
royal gramma
blue tang
green mandarin

i run my reactor using a hang on bracket off the back of the sump, ive removed a rear fan in the left chamber (if looking strait at the tank) a eheim 300 sits on top of a eheim 1000 that feeds my chiller, and then the return is plumbed back into the far right chamber to ensure the reactor isnt just filtering the same water continuously.

i dose 0.2 ml zeostart twice a day, shake the reactor manually twice a day. i use a wide variety of supps,

i dose most supps every second day,
1ml amino acids lps
2 drops amino acids sps
2 ml c balance
2 ml stronium (occasionally testing and supp accordingly)
2 ml coral snow
2 drops potasium flouride
2 drops sponge power
2 ml pohls extra

my most recent project is attempting to buy sterile water from the chemist and mix it with zeostart so i can dose tiny amounts over the entire day rather than the two amounts twice daily, as the use of a dosing pump to maintain alk and calc was the greatest increase in visual coral health, at least i beleive the difference was fairly noticeable.

I'm happy to have inspired you into starting a thread! It's always good to see a new tank on the forums and even more so another zeo tank too :)

I like the stock list, some nice fish in there. It sounds like you have things set up pretty well and running nicely which is good to hear! Hopefully zeo is working really well for you too.

That's a decent list of supps being added to the tank lol don't you just love all the little bits that you can add and tweak with the zeo system. I'm certainly looking forward to adding some more elements to the tank and start tweaking the various aspects. I'll be waiting a little while before doing that as the tank is still only 6 weeks old :)

Bgouges

I'm happy to have inspired you into starting a thread! It's always good to see a new tank on the forums and even more so another zeo tank too :)

I like the stock list, some nice fish in there. It sounds like you have things set up pretty well and running nicely which is good to hear! Hopefully zeo is working really well for you too.

That's a decent list of supps being added to the tank lol don't you just love all the little bits that you can add and tweak with the zeo system. I'm certainly looking forward to adding some more elements to the tank and start tweaking the various aspects. I'll be waiting a little while before doing that as the tank is still only 6 weeks old :)

Haha yeh the amounts of elements i dose isnt vital in my books. I will discontinue use of some of the elements when i run out, but while they are there no harm in adding them. I dont really see much difference when i dose phols xtra, stylo pocci glow, b balance or potassium flouride. I had a new shipment of supps so will start dosing zeozym and coral vitalizer tonight :) i shall keep you posted.

I wish you all the best with your tank, must be good to have a fresh start!

Bgouges

image.jpg Just bought a new mini maxi today, bit hard to photograph with my lights. My clowns were very unhappy with my porcelain crab pair muscling in on their anemone as such i thought ild see how the go with a mini maxi (plus the mini maxi is far more colourful than the ordinary anenome).

Its a green based mini maxi with white purple and pinkish bubbles.

Last edited:

Bgouges

and a few more shots of corals around the tank

eagle eye zoas
image.jpg

bluey purple acro, gradually getting bluer since shipment
image.jpg

green monti cap and rainbow monti frags
image.jpg

unknown acro with some amazing polyp extension
image.jpg

yellow acro frag shaded by a redy pink stag
image.jpg

frag rack
image.jpg

scrolling monti

image.jpg
note the blue stag frag that fell onto one of my rics which has killed exactly half of the frag, still has good polyp extension on the living half so fingers crossed (back right)

red goni
image.jpg

pink goniimage.jpg

large orange ric and rainbow acans, really want to turn this rock around so my ric can face the front yet its doing so well where it is so i dont want to disturb it.image.jpg

and that should do us for now :) still plenty more photos but they can wait. Sorry to bombard everyone but atleast this way i have a visual journey of my tank :) i keep my parametres in a diary yet i cant describe the grown of corals etc in my diary thus a visual diary should do the trick

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I did not realise you are an Aussie lol

Looking good though mate, I love those goni's! The red is fantastic! You've got some groovy polyp extension on some of those acro's too!

Please feel free to bombard us away with as many pictures as you can and want!! :D

Bgouges

I did not realise you are an Aussie lol

Looking good though mate, I love those goni's! The red is fantastic! You've got some groovy polyp extension on some of those acro's too!

Please feel free to bombard us away with as many pictures as you can and want!! :D

Haha yep an aussie, just on the opposite side ;) thankyou ive become a big fan of goni's :) will do my laptops broken atm so i cant uplaod any pic from my camera but will keep the photos from my phone flowing :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Haha yep an aussie, just on the opposite side ;) thankyou ive become a big fan of goni's :) will do my laptops broken atm so i cant uplaod any pic from my camera but will keep the photos from my phone flowing :)
It's only a few hours drive away :p
Well they're looking good and some awesome colours too :) Looking forward to some more pics though ;)

Bgouges

new additions the porcelain crab pair
image.jpg

a few mini sea urchins, these critters are pretty cool, hopefully they stay the same small size (about 2cm diametre)
image.jpg

a shot under all whites

image.jpg

new blue stag that i rescued from the lfs, was STN from the bottom so i got it for cheap, fingers crossed
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

tanks current state: operation tang, trying to capture my tangs to move to a bigger tank, so far ive nearly caught the tomini tang twice, yet as soon as the vibration in the water from the fishing line to trap door moves he bolts, and hes a quick little bugger, blue tang so far is too smart to enter my little trapimage.jpg

Bgouges

Hey guys quick update nothing over the top just checking in :)

Did some re scaping as i feared alot of my sps were bunched to closely together which would inevitably limit them when growing out, so i removed the nem from the moddle of my tank and re located it to the bottom left of the tank, im hoping he receives enough light to be happy down there so ill have to monitor hos progress. I had to snap a large portion of my largest rock to move his as well whichi wasnt too fond of. Ive also made a few little patches of zoas gardens, however im worried about faster growning species like eagle eyes and darth mauls overshadowing the slower growers such as the aus macaws and such, any one have any advice on such?
Cheers

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for checking in ! on the nem... unlike corals where we get to pick where they live, if he is not happy where you have him... he will get up and move to his happy place :nessie:

on your pics, just right click on them & choose Copy Image URL, then click on the little picture frame icon & add it here & they will work

Looking Great !

P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg

Last edited:

Bgouges

P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg.html

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/Bgouges/media/P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10
Cheers for checking in ! on the nem... unlike corals where we get to pick where they live, if he is not happy where you have him... he will get up and move to his happy place :nessie:

on your pics, just right click on them & choose Copy Image URL, then click on the little picture frame icon & add it here & they will work

Looking Great !

P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg
ahhhh i see hah thanks a heap for that nano, i had several attempts and then just gave up! Ill post some pics this week when i get a chance :)

Bgouges

P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg.html

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/Bgouges/media/P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

ahhhh i see hah thanks a heap for that nano, i had several attempts and then just gave up! Ill post some pics this week when i get a chance :)

Looking Great !

P1010730_zpsemn67uug.jpg
I had been having a bit of dramas with my carpet nem in my 130, he has a pair of black and white clowns that hosted him until i bought some porcelain crabs that claimed the carpet, so in my attempt to keep everyone happy i moved my bubble tip to the 130 hoping the crabs would like it, i moved the crabs to it and all seemed well, when i woke in the morning the crabs had swum up to the top of the tank as i moved the carpet and clowns into a little breeder seperator from the tank, the clowns didnt like the nem either so after my failed attempt he got shifted back into my 250 :(

Bgouges

P1010890_zps3vzchjwa.jpg image_zpsqxqidtcr.jpg P1010872_zpsv8w1dhy6.jpg P1010874_zpswbjkoqy3.jpg P1010876_zpsjams3gpf.jpg P1010877_zps69btgfcc.jpg P1010879_zpsuhdcwq0j.jpg P1010884_zpsb1r1bzoh.jpg P1010890_zps3vzchjwa.jpg image_zpsig66nkab.jpg
and finally a few random photos of stuff. Had a bit of a drama today, got hold of some awesome zoas thanks to wrnagy disclosing his source ;) and when i returned home from work the polyp had gone missing from the plug, i suspect the person i entrusted with moving the zoas from the box in the front door to the tank may have accidently dislodged them, which was a bit of a kick in the guts, but ohh well, have to wait until next release :(