Best phosphate and carbon?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would recommend Rox.08 for carbon and RowaPhos for GFO

+1
I just learned about the ROX after years of using other carbon and was amazed at the quality and performance of the short time use I had with it.

BLAKEJOHN

I use very little
Carbon: about a tablespoon per 50gl, changed biweekly
GFO: I dont use a measurement per say but I would say that I use about half of what the container says and change it every month. I also give it a good shake every couple of days to keep it loose.

mike810

I use very little
Carbon: about a tablespoon per 50gl, changed biweekly
GFO: I dont use a measurement per say but I would say that I use about half of what the container says and change it every month. I also give it a good shake every couple of days to keep it loose.

that is good to know that i should give it a good shake every couple days. Do you use your gfo and carbon in a reactor or do you bag them?

BLAKEJOHN

that is good to know that i should give it a good shake every couple days. Do you use your gfo and carbon in a reactor or do you bag them?
I use a reactor. One reactor for each media linked in series. This way I can change each media separately. You can run both the carbon and GFO in the same reactor. Carbon on the bottom and GFO on the top separated by a sponge. Problem here is that you will need to change them both at the same time.

The shaking of the carbon and GFO is to prevent packing and channeling.

mike810

I use a reactor. One reactor for each media linked in series. This way I can change each media separately. You can run both the carbon and GFO in the same reactor. Carbon on the bottom and GFO on the top separated by a sponge. Problem here is that you will need to change them both at the same time.

The shaking of the carbon and GFO is to prevent packing and channeling.

thanks for the info blake, or is it john? blakejohn :clink: I know u can run the gfo for a few months right? but what about the carbon, how often do you change it? I know it really depends on my tank but my water looks pretty clear so lets just say on an average, clean looking tank. How long would/can carbon last before it gets exhausted. I've read that some ppl change their carbon weekly or biweekly. I am fairly new to sw tanks and especially new to gfo and carbon.

BLAKEJOHN

The carbon should be changed biweekly (it will collect debris).
If you wanted to run the GFO in the same reactor you would just need to use less of it. Because you will need to remove it to change the carbon.

How much GFO you need will be up to you. You will need to make an educated guess based upon your water volume and PO4 levels.

Actually it is Bret