best overflow box

ricohorton

i am considering a couple overflow boxes and would like some input.
first i am looking for something that is quiet and second one that works well should the power go out.
both the ones i am thinking of i saw on ebay for comparable price.
this one claims to be the quietest box out there but am not sure about the power going out and restart question.
BLACK STEALTH QUIET AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX 600GPH - eBay (item 270598615732 end time Oct-23-10 06:34:49 PDT)

this other one is similar to a cpr box but is less money out of pocket. i am not sure if this one would be quieter but it looks like i could just hook up my aqua lift pump for restarting should the power go out.
Aquarium Siphon HANG ON Overflow Box,2600LPH - eBay (item 230530789973 end time Oct-26-10 01:08:21 PDT)

thx in advance :D

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would suggest drilling the tank using a glass holes .com overflow kit, Drilling is very simple just watch a few video's and have at :D

It's worth looking into.

redsea reefer

I will be using an Eshopps also, the Nano model.

Once started the siphon tube will ALWAYS restart and resume flowing water after a power failure or when you turn the pump back on. There is no need to restart the siphon tube.

iano

I've been shopping around for one also. I think I will be going with Eshopps. I've heard good things about both Eshopps and Lifereef, but the Eshopps is the cheaper of the two.

ricohorton

thx for all the response. i have not looked at the eshopps and nor have i looked at lifereef so i will check those out as well. oh and tempered glass. can't drill it.

Last edited:

Uslanja

We run an Eshopps overflow box. We routinely (2 times per week) shut down the power to our fuge return pump and it has restarted every time without fail or issue. The overflow did make a rather annoying gurgling sound when we first installed it. To overcome that noise we then installed a device know as a "gurgle buster" and now it operates flawlessly and without making any noise. We would recommend a similar setup to anyone wishing to use an overflow box.

Reddog170

You do indeed want a gurgle buster. Without it is can be heard on every floor of the house. Best thing I ever got. Shaun

steved13

PREMIUM
I have the Eshopps now and I just ordered the LifeReef. The one thing I liked about the lifereef is the box stays parallel where the eshopps, and all others I've seen, can swing from the adjustment screw. Probably not a big deal, but it makes the LifeReef superior. It is twice the money though. The Eshopps is a tad noisey, I don't mind the water sounds so it's not a factor for me.

steved13

PREMIUM
The divider in the outside box is what makes both the Eshopps and the lifeReef very dependable on restart from a power failure. Whatever box you go with I would recommend looking for and buying one with that divider. It's the best way of insuring the outside end of the U-tube stays wet.

Reddog170

I got my gurgle buster from someone that upgraded to a drilled tank. Not real sure who makes them. Shaun

I run a CPR overflow on my fresh tank and it works great and looks great but it does take a lifter pump to run and I do need a new one about every year($18)

37gallontank004-3.jpg

ricohorton

I run a CPR overflow on my fresh tank and it works great and looks great but it does take a lifter pump to run and I do need a new one about every year($18)

37gallontank004-3.jpg
thats why i was thinking of the one that looks like a cpr. it has the aqualift line for controlling any air that develops in the U tube. yours looks setup real nice. i already have an aqualift pump so that would work great.

reefracer

I would for sure drill the tank, very easy even I was successful with my first time trying. As for the best of the rest I don't have a clue. But if you listen to others, do some reseach, you can decide what it is you believe will be the best of all and build it yourself. If not comfortable with your skill level there are plenty of people who will do it for small compensation. That's what I did and have never, not one time regretted it. BTW, patterned system after Bean Animal's ultra quiet overflow and yes it is great, fans/pumps is all I hear. Don't worry you can do it, diy is part of what makes this hobby so much fun.