Best choice, Six line wrasse or Dragonet

Dragonet or Six-line Wrasse

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blurp

Hi all,

I'm thinking of introducing the last fish to my tank and doubt whether a six-line wrasse or a dragonet would be better.
These are the criteria I'd like you to take into consideration:
-Inter-species behaviour,
-Feeding,
-Utility for the tank: cleaning, plague control..

SeahorseBT

Is it going to be in with the seahorses? Then don't even consider a sixline, but in a RSM 250, there might not be enough pods.

Blurp

No, in the RSM250 (see my signature) with plenty os LS and 6 more fish: 2 clownfish, 2 surgeon, 1 goby and 1 blenny. There are SPS and LPS too.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Clowns and gobies are big consumers of pods. Pods are the main element of both these fishes diets in the wild. I wouldn't put a dragonet in a small tank like a 250 with these fish present - too much competition, too little food. Unless you have some of Big Jays Pod Farms going that is, that might be a different story

Blurp

I may easily get pods at my lfs in case of need, but would prefer them to be more self-sufficient

Blurp

I believe that hexataenia are smaller, and, as you already pointed out there are only 250 liters...

correct me if im wrong, but the pods most LFS sell are the swiming type of pods, and even if they are the the crawling type, you would have to keep buying them weakly as this constitutes practically 100% of the diet of a dragonette... i actually got into saltwater because i wanted to keep dragonettes and had to upgrade to a 60g cube, with a 60g refugium/sump and a HOB refigium, and now i have 3, wich are fat and happy... so i vote for the six line, besides they are amazing fish, very colorfull and have been known to take on bristtle worms...
though be carefull because i have seen that they tend to stalk fish added after them...

Blurp

Thanks psiconauta but that won't be the case, it should be my very last fish addition (I think the tank is already overcrowded)

Most fat mandarins in our aquariums are eating frozen foods whether you know it or not.

now that you mention that, i have actually seen my spotted mandarin(i have 2 psychedelics and 1 spotted), going crazy sometimes when i feed the other the other fish, and trying to find where the food is, but never actually getting anything, maybe he is about to learn... i really hope so...

DrHank

You don't want to have to buy pods, you want your tank to produce enough to support your fish. I vote for the wrasse as well.

Blurp

Keep voting but the decission will be on hold until the issue with my seahorses is solved or resolved... I might have to introduce them in the RSM as well to help with high T and try that my male survives.

Thanks to all & keep voting, it's an interesting question I believe...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
now that you mention that, i have actually seen my spotted mandarin(i have 2 psychedelics and 1 spotted), going crazy sometimes when i feed the other the other fish, and trying to find where the food is, but never actually getting anything, maybe he is about to learn... i really hope so...

That's part of the problem. It's not NATURAL for them to be looking for that food. They are genetically "wired" to hunt for pods all day every day. Some people get lucky and are able to "Teach" them this feature but I dare say that 75% (or more) are 99% pod reliant.

Wrasse for my vote :thumber:

BobBursek

I have a 6 line and a Drag, and watched the Drag stave to death, even put in the fuge/sump witch is full of Pods and starved it self to death, maybe put it in there to late.