Beginner w/ first Tank (Help)

dougweis

image.jpg First off thanks for coming to my thread and any help is greatly appreciated. Ok so I've always enjoyed fish as a kid but never had the money to afford a tank. Well last week while cleaning out my uncles garage he gave me his old setup. Now having myself Alittle boy I would really like to get this thing set up. The problem is he doesn't remember anything about it so im in the dark here haha. From my research its a 55 gallon tank with a bio ball sump. Yes I know everyone disagrees with the bio balls but it's what I have and can't afford anything else. I have a bunch of coral I've been collecting over the years. So just a basic fish only with some dry rocks is what im shooting for. I've heard the reef aquariums don't work with the bio balls. So I have a few pictures of everything I have if anyone has any advice what is and where it would go I appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

DaveK

I have posted this before, but it's applicable here -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, expecially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

End of the Standard Lecture

Some additional thoughts.

Once you get some idea about what goes into a SW system, next consider the costs associated with it. It's real easy to end up dropping a lot of money on equipment and livestock. You will need to get some test kits, salt, and so on.

In looking at your picts, most of your equipment seems ok, but you still may need to replace some of it. You may also need to modify some of the equipment. For example you may not want to use the bio-balls.

Be sure to add up the costs involved make sure you are comfortable with sll of them.

Good luck!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

cracker

Hello Doug, You have a "Sea life Systems" wetdry . and simple over the back overflow .Looks like a magdrive pump for a return. I agree Bioball/wedry filters are old technology. . They worked well then and will still work now for a simple (fish only ) setup. Not a bad start for You and Your son to learn about keeping saltwater fish. Be forwarned ! You will want to upgrade ! Dave is right about research 1st. Turn this into a fun project and Let us know what You plan to do !

dougweis

Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting a book I'll look into the ones you spoke of. Yea like you said the infos online but it's everywhere and nothing pertains to my setup haha. I know my equipment is a bit out of date why it's hard to find somewhere that shows me how to set it up. Im just confused on which pumps go to what and whats the black box thing?

Oxylebius

You can get away with bioballs/wetdry filters on fish only tanks and with some soft and LPS corals. But, make sure you stay up on maintenance of them, that is the key. Make sure they don't trap detritus and become nitrate factories. Then you should be fine.

If you haven't come across it yet, this forum is very useful:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners.4/
and
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/look-frequently-asked-questions.33555/

cracker

hello doug, I "think" the black box goes to the skimmer as well as the power head it's the pump with the short hoses attached. Those two items go with the skimmer in some way, I'm not familiar with it. Sorry if my questions are simple. Do You have a stand for the tank? I didn't see a pic of one. If you do,set it up where You think the equipment goes and show us a pic. we can go from there. Good luck !

dougweis

Thanks and that's a good idea cracker I'll try to set it up this weekend to see if it looks right. Im kinda getting an idea but the two smaller pumps still have no clue haha