Before i add water and sand.

fitzpoppa

Was wondering if this was enough rock? I want to eventually do coral but not for a few months so can i add more rock at a later time.

tank.jpg

danewell

That all depends on what type of filtration and bio load. If you have an awesome filter setup then yeah that will be fine, it is all about the look you want and are going to be happy with.

How big of tank, pounds of rock, and what filter you planning?

BLAKEJOHN

Add all the rock you will need now. If you add it later you risk going through another cycle.

If money will be an issue think about this before you go too far. It will cost an average of $30-$50 per gallon to get the tank up and running.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Add rock. Id triple the amount. U can hide it in the sump if u find it unsightly.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

fitzpoppa

That all depends on what type of filtration and bio load. If you have an awesome filter setup then yeah that will be fine, it is all about the look you want and are going to be happy with.

How big of tank, pounds of rock, and what filter you planning?

I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm running a 20 Gallon fuge right now with a protein skimmer.

danewell

I'd go with what matt said and hide some in the fuge. Its such a great natural filter. You might consider putting another stack in the middle of the tank in case you want to add corals, because you might have a hard time getting light to some of them with it beig so far back.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The big drawback (with all due respect) to "hiding it in the sump" is that rock (Live Rock, Live Rock Rubble etc) has so many nocks & crannies that it will collect detritus and potentially have issues later down the road. If you're going to run that set-up be sure and filter the water WELL before that area. You want your sump to be as easy to clean as possible because it's the lowest point in the system and where most "detritus" and other solids will "Settle Out of Suspension".

One of the best investments you can make, as far as controlling detritus is a turkey baster. Blast it off the rocks when you do water changes and you won't have any problems with it. Detritus is a form of coral food, and if you can keep it from settling in a system, the more food your corals get to eat.