Becoming an urchin fan

Basile

Key point that was made in the last post is to find dried seaweed that doesn't have any additives or extra ingredients.

Yes some are sold as "snack" as soon as you see that word "snack" usually their's something added to it so make sure you stay away from those. They usually put them seperatly but not always even in those health store , they snack...lol seaweeed blahh.. But its the last frontier for genuine untouched and unaltered seaweeds. The asian markets are too over taken now with brands and processed foods, no longer the nice fresh and healthy foods it use to be. Thank God for tree hugers , i'm actually a forest nut myself , lol but i don't eat everything green lol.

shark32

I love tuxedo urchins! I've had Dusty, my blue tuxedo urchin almost 4 years.. My kids named him that, cause he always has something clinging onto him.. They are a great addition to any tank!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I have been planning on purchasing a blue tuxedo urchin for after my move. They are too cool!

Snid

Anyone have a Black Long Spined Urchin? Any success or failures with it? The First Mate, my wife, wants one as it is the one and only request for the reef tank she has made thus far. That and make it beautiful, which I have to keep reminding her will take some time.

Paul B

I have one of those for so many years that I have no idea when I got it. It is just there and there is no algae in my tank so I have no idea what he is eating or if he sends out. But if I put a piece of algae under him, he smiles from spine to spine.

Iamonlyme

ma8ere3y.jpg

I love mine he eats nori out of my hand :) I would be careful though he can sting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snid

I did add a Long Spined to my tank. He has been mowing down my GHA bit by bit. Fun to watch. He's like a little roaming factory, churning the LR.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just wanted to post an update on my 1st urchin a blue tuxedo, he is 5 months old and going strong - all over the tank & well behaved, no problems & a great members of my cuc, very pretty & a super hard worker :dance:

can highly recommend & I will always have one - cheers for this thread & cheers for blue tuxedo sea urchins :clink: I am a fan of them now

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
So, after reading this thread....I think I just made up my mind to get a Blue Tuxedo urchin. I have been hot & cold several times on the idea of putting one in my tank. I fear LR tumbling into the glass issues as my rockscape is fairly tall....that has been my main drawback from getting one.
Anyone have any rock tumbling via urchin stories?
@nanoreefing4fun Glenn, is your urchin still thriving & being a good tankmate?

StirCrayzy

I haven't had an issue with urchins moving anything heavier than small frags, never bothered the rockwork. Unlike the big Mexican turbos, that will lift the foundation of a house if there's something they want to get to. I added a red tuxedo to compliment my blue one, and going well here for a year ish.
I do notice the tuxedos don't have as much of a taste for coralinne like my other green urchin did. Only after the green guy died, did I start having to scrape my glass regularly.

Squatch XXL

Thanks EVERYONE for this thread! I am not ready yet, but have been eyeballing a few urchins already. I know when my tank is "live" with the intended species my CUC options are very limited (Mantis Shrimp single critter tank). I currently have 10+ hermits and 5 snails only to keep up with any upcoming NTS algae outbreak. I figure once I get the Mantis, that I will loose most of my CUC....I doubt an urchin would be messed with...Time and my tank inhabitants will let me know if/when I need a better less tasty CUC.

tank stalker

Glad to hear your blue is still doing well nano. I have since gained two new urchins since thus post a short spine and another rose pin cushion. What can I say I'm a fan. Lol

something smells fishy