Beautiful planted tanks on youtube.

Kate

I don't know, since I've never had one, but I am planning on one; that is why I've been researching! My 75 gallon tank, that I had salt water in, is sitting empty right now, and after renovations to the house, I hope to set it up for a planted tank! Those gave me some WONDERFUL ideas! :)

Kate

I'm assuming he means the fish and plants, which is the truth! Depending on what you do, they can be equally as difficult to take care of though! I've had both, and corals can be REALLY expensive! :)

Kate

What do you guys use for a substrate in a planted fresh water tank? Do you use sand, dirt, fine gravel, undergravel filter, what?

NanoNewbie

Im using Flourite Black Onyx sand in my 20 gallon for my first planted tank. I like the looks of it and it is very good for growing plants I have found out

neilanh

I've used several different substrates. I've actually been the most impressed with the cheapest ones I've used.

I've used eco-complete, aquasoil, Schultz's aquatic soil, and soilmaster select. The soilmaster is my favorite, and was less than $15 for 50 pounds (I used something like 120 pounds in my 125).

IdahoReef

I've used several different substrates. I've actually been the most impressed with the cheapest ones I've used.

I've used eco-complete, aquasoil, Schultz's aquatic soil, and soilmaster select. The soilmaster is my favorite, and was less than $15 for 50 pounds (I used something like 120 pounds in my 125).
So, a pound per gallon, is that a good starting point?

PEMfish

FW animals can be more expensive than the med. to chap SW. Setups and running cost are comparable for a serious planted to a SW.

neilanh

Setup costs, yes... Operating costs, I doubt it's as much as SW, IMO. I'm building my first SW setup now, so time will tell.

Idahoreef, it depends on the substrate you use. Eco-complete I used 55 or 60 pounds in a 29, the SMS I used right around 120pounds in a 125.