Bazmackems RSM130

Joeys Tank

Hmmm, the LFS selling something to "kick-start" the process of lowering nitrates ....

When someone uses the term kick-start, what they usually refer to is the assisting the natural process. The natural process of eliminating nitrates from a system is 1) consumed along with phosphates in the growth of vegetable matter (i.e. algae) or 2) denitrifying bacteria. For a new tank, you are definitely in for some algae blooms. Refugiums with macro algae are great ways to naturally lower nitrates where you (pseudo) control algae growth with lighting and water flow in a location other than your display tank.

Denitrifying bacteria break down nitrates into nitrogen gas. This process; however, takes a much longer time than the cycle to generate nitrifying bacteria. Thus, reefers are continuously doing water changes to keep nitrates in check (as well as replenish several minerals necessary for coral growth).

Other than that (and water changes discussed at length), temporary additives can be provided to a tank to reduce nitrates. Carbon dosing, vodka dosing, NO3-PO4-x dosing are some examples of methods to reduce nitrates. At this stage in the game, a good piece of advice is to lower nitrates by water changes ... not to buy another product to add to your system (which brings along its own set of complications).

bazmackem

Hmmm, the LFS selling something to "kick-start" the process of lowering nitrates ....

When someone uses the term kick-start, what they usually refer to is the assisting the natural process. The natural process of eliminating nitrates from a system is 1) consumed along with phosphates in the growth of vegetable matter (i.e. algae) or 2) denitrifying bacteria. For a new tank, you are definitely in for some algae blooms. Refugiums with macro algae are great ways to naturally lower nitrates where you (pseudo) control algae growth with lighting and water flow in a location other than your display tank.

Denitrifying bacteria break down nitrates into nitrogen gas. This process; however, takes a much longer time than the cycle to generate nitrifying bacteria. Thus, reefers are continuously doing water changes to keep nitrates in check (as well as replenish several minerals necessary for coral growth).

Other than that (and water changes discussed at length), temporary additives can be provided to a tank to reduce nitrates. Carbon dosing, vodka dosing, NO3-PO4-x dosing are some examples of methods to reduce nitrates. At this stage in the game, a good piece of advice is to lower nitrates by water changes ... not to buy another product to add to your system (which brings along its own set of complications).
Cheers for the quick response cheers for the quick response! It is "special nutrition for bacteria for po4 and no3 natural reduction" - so hopefully more natural than I had made out!!!

On a side note, a clump of my Kenya tree has gone into "night mode" and shrunk back - one of the hermits is foraging in it - is this normal or will it eat the coral??

bazmackem

well at last Ive upped the ante and bought some clowns... and a cleaner... and a fire shrimp!! the clowns are class and have fed well twice today... along with the floor of the tank who went crazy for any morsels... snails appearing from nowhere!! they follow you wherever you look... seem amazingly tame!!

DSC_0240.jpg DSC_0241.jpg DSC_0260.jpg DSC_0264.jpg DSC_0307.jpg DSC_0314.jpg

Delareef123

Baz, you are just fine my friend. Congratulations with getting some life in your tank. From your photos you are rocking. Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be smarter than your LFS. :bigbounce:

bazmackem

Just noticed a few of these dotted round the tank... Sure I read when I first started on another thread that these are bad!?!image.jpg

bazmackem

Been a busy couple of weeks, time for an update!
So additions are:

Green mandarin - initial nerves have subsided! I bought it and then got back, googled to continue my excitement and was met with dread as they seem v hard to feed!! Couple of sleepless nights but a lot calmer now!! He's constantly picking on the rock and there seems a decent amount of pods for him. I have also added a few bags of live pods and now set up a small kids tank with pods in to keep adding to the tank! Seems healthy and is maybe showing a very slight interest in the calamus that I squirt in his direction (Pic taken just after I bought him)
image.jpeg

Firefish - very nervy.... Good fun to watch jumping about, eating well!
image (1).jpeg

Duncan - first try at a harder coral - so far seems to be doing well! good luminosity (?) and hopefully grows well! Been advised once it grows new crowns Im ready to get frogspawn etc!?
image (2).jpeg

Toadstool Leather - Really like this even though its not a vibrant colour. Seemed ok on day 1 but then closed up and got a slime film over it. I removed what I could with a baster and seems a bit happier!
image (5).jpeg
image (3).jpeg

Learning loads as I go along, still struggling with nitrates and cyano but getting there. I don't think Ive gotten this engrossed in a hobby before!

image (4).jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 1

bazmackem

Latest update, Have recently moved to LEDs, 2x aqua rays to replace T5s and 2x aqua ray-like (import copies?? Bought from a used tank at LFS) strips each with 14 LEDs in. A bicolour Angel, bought two weeks ago and although a bit shy, seems v happy. Latest addition is a torch coral which seems to be thriving!!!!

DSC_0880 copy.jpg DSC_0844.jpg DSC_0846.jpg DSC_0864.jpg DSC_0866.jpg DSC_0868.jpg DSC_0869.jpg DSC_0876.jpg DSC_0673.jpg

dgilbert2

Looking amazing Baz, welcome to the world of LED's :)

I love the Bi-colour Angels but never had the confidence to get one, hope she settle down well in her new home.

bazmackem

She seems fine. Was v flighty the first day/night constantly banging off the side of the tank and circling round but now is much better! Still shots away when you fronton the tank but soon comes back! Tonight she swam straight up and ate flakes off the water as I sprinkled them on and also came up to the pipette that I squirt calamus at the mandarin with!! Although she has nipped at the odd bit of coral, a small h&h starfish and today my big sand sifter!!! Seems constantly grazing - might need to get some seaweed!

How are the LEDs going?? They are a totally different type of light aren't they! Wish I could have afforded steves LEDs - will deff invest in the future! Hopefully these will do for now! Everything seems happy.... Even the cyano unfortunately! Hope it dies off soon

dgilbert2

Sounds like the Bi-Colour is settling down, especially if eating flake food already!

I've had my StevesLEDs for almost 4 weeks now and in the last week things have settled down enough to start slowly turning up the power 1% a day. Looking brighter and crisper already :) Corals looking better too.

bazmackem

Sounds like the Bi-Colour is settling down, especially if eating flake food already!

I've had my StevesLEDs for almost 4 weeks now and in the last week things have settled down enough to start slowly turning up the power 1% a day. Looking brighter and crisper already :) Corals looking better too.
Good news mate! What going to go for next?? I fancy maybe a hammer or frogspawn.... Would love a clam!! Shop up here has electric flame scallops in!!!! Pricey business! Supposedly clams are good at eliminating nitrates.... Not sure I'm ready for these yet mind!!
Also fancy a royal gramma as my last fish!

dgilbert2

I'm not sure what's next to be honest. I know my wife would like a Mandarin and I also quite like the Royal Grammas.

Should be going to our LFS on Sunday, last time my wife picked two of the most expensive in the shop, over £300 in total. Needless to say we left without them :).

I'd like some different colour corals maybe blue or something, will have to see what they have in stock and can afford!