Battling man eating bryopsis. Who is winning?

Curtswearing

Originally posted by Cosmic
have always avoided the Aluminum based products like the plague

I'm just curious. Did the aluminum products tick off any of your corals or was that just in my tank?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It removes silicates too!!! :D

"This granular ferric oxide hydroxide filter media absorbs phosphates from saltwater and freshwater. Also absorbs silicates and dissolved organics. Does not leach absorbed substances and does not affect water pH. Long lasting and easy way to control phosphate levels permanently."

How much do I need for my 90 gal?

Last edited:

dgasmd

Originally posted by Maxx
Well there was that one time with the midget and baby oil....uh, nevermind.....I don't know nuthin....it didnt happen....you cant make me tell you.....

I almost pissed my pants when I read this.

Yes, knowledge is power my friend. I ahve always tete for phosphates with the salifert test kit and was always 0. Which makes me wonder why in the hell do they even sell these kits if what they test tells you nothing whatsoever:mad: :mad:

This stuff's direction say 150 grams (1 container) will treat 150 gal. I am over using it a little and I will change it every 8 weeks as it says. May do it more often in the future if I see any benefit.

Mojoreef:

Glad to see it is going to come down in price. It is a brutal cost as it is now. I think a lot of it has to do with the euro exchange too. I may give a try in the future to the rowa media for Ca reactors and see how it goes. It will depend on cost, because with the size of my reactor it is hard to argue with crushed coral.:D :D

The other thing about bryopsis I learned from my experience is that it loves low water flow. My tank is currently underflowed big time for its size (yes, remedy on the works) and this stuff was growing in one half of the tank only. It is incredible because you can almost draw a straight line where it would stop growing. That was very impressive to me.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maxx

Glad to be able to make your day just lil bit brighter...:D
BTW sometime soon I'm prolly gonna shoot you a PM on how to make an anesthesiologist trust a paramedic student in 50 words or less. All for the purpose gaining incredibly necessary, yet incredibly rare intubations for my clinicals. Evidently the students in previous classes didnt exactly inspire confidence in the Anethesia staff. Must 've found a way to leave the fly down in scrubs or something like that....
Nick

Maxx

worth a shot.....;)
Its not like we're taking running starts or anything...lol...altho that might be fun to watch....
Thanks anyway man,
When do we get to see pics of your tank?
Nick

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Curt no no no . I just didnt understand what you were saying. I have actually done that myself in the past. If I add a new peice of rock to the tank now that the tank is established I usually go so far as to boil it. Then it comes in just like a brand new apartment building waiting for new tennants.
Pull out a badly affected rock is a real smart thing to do. this eliminates the sporeing when you pluck, and allows you to do a better job.

take care

Mike

Cosmic

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Cosmic
have always avoided the Aluminum based products like the plague
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just curious. Did the aluminum products tick off any of your corals or was that just in my tank?

It affected almost all my soft corals. The Large Lobophytum leather I had at the time, the Lg Sinularia, and the small Sarcophyton all closed solid and shed excessively during the Aluminum-based products use. These products will also affect colts and many other soft corals in the tank as well.
Since adding the Phosban (Yes, 2 Little fishies/Sprung), none of these corals have reacted as such again.

I have to agree with the 8 week change out. I am still using my original batch (10 weeks now) with no harmful affects, but I am noticing some of the minor algaes re-gaining footholds which leads me to believe the Phosban is no longer exporting PO4. I also noticed a HUGE take-off of caulerpa in the refugium after adding the Phosban. I'm assuming it has something to do with the iron in the product, but this is only pure speculation on my part for now.

Cos

Hooked

As I mentioned in my previous post I am in the process of raising my magnesium level. I'm dosing 1 ml per gal per day as per the instruction for Kent Tech-M. I began this regimen Saturday after I had manually removed as many clumps of bryopsis as I could and done a 10% water change. Sunday it looked about the same--a few green stragglers here and there, but Monday evening much of that was gone and what was left wasn't very green.

This is probably a coincidence, but I'm going to continue on this path to see where it leads. I have some PhosBan and will use that if the bryopsis starts to bloom again.

I'll post here again to let you know if there's anything to this magnesium thing. :)

dgasmd

Let me say before someone even suggests it. I have no link in any way, shape, or form to Julian Sprung, his company, or product other than being a consumer like you. I mentioned this one in particular by brand simply because it is the one I used. I suspect any good phosphate removing media would give the same results.

Also, I had different results as far as the caulerpa goes. Mine pulled a complete stop in growth. I can tell my phosban needs replacing because my refugium just started to take off again.:smirk: :smirk:

Hooked

I really wish I had taken some before pix of my bryopsis. It continues to diminish rapidly. Again, I'm only supplementing magnesium.

My tank parameters are:

SG 1.025 (refractometer)
pH 8.20+ in p.m. (monitor)
CA 420
Alk 16
Mag 1276
Ammonia 0
Traces of phospates and nitrates

I know the alk is high, but that was one of the recommended fixes for bryopsis. It's been that high for about three weeks and had no effect. I also do 10% water changes weekly.

I have a 20 gal that has some bryopsis also ( I moved pieces with bryopsis on them from 90 gal to 20 gal) I'm going to try magnesium supplementation in it and I did take some before pix.

Curtswearing

As I mentioned, I have only used Rowaphos. Regardless of which product, please put a review in the review section.

Hooked

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I just realized that I do have a before photo of the bryopsis. :hammerhea

The alk levels were high (16dKh) when this was taken, but I had not yet started to increase the magnesium level.

The BTA is the focal point of the photo, but it still shows the nice, healthy, thriving clumps of bryopsis surrounding it. :blueoh:

Hooked

This photo was taken after I had increased the magnesiun level to ~1500. The BTA also subsequently split as shown in this photo.

I have no idea if the increased alk and mag levels caused the split

I noticed Saturday that a little bryopsis was again sprouting up around the BTA and checked my levels--the alk was down to 11 and the magnesium had dropped to 1245, so I'm working on raising them again. Will let you know what happens.

Maxx

Katrina,
Wow...the picture says it all......thanks for the images they really prove the point.
Nick

Brucey

Hey guys .... all great info. I too had my tank up and runnin for a year and last month starting getting red slime algae all over my rocks and sand. A quick trip my LFS and £40 lighter in my pocket, I too came home with some ROWAPhos. The best way to add it to your system is if you have a spare external power filter and stick it in there. It is expensive but lasts 3-4 months depending on your phosphate levels. My red slime algae .... dsiappeared in 7 days. I'm converted and will never go without it again.

Great thread

Brucey