Baseball Season

ReefLady

Staff member
but can anything stop the juggernaut (who knew?) known as the Toronto Blue Jays??

Yeah, that would be the Red Sox. Youk is back, and apparently, so is Ortiz. Nice timing. Also nice to see the Rays back in their usual place...6.5 games back and skidding.......

Last edited:

mps9506

UNCW Baseball is playing in the CAA tournament here this weekend. Last night they were down 5-2 in the bottom of the 7th and the catcher hit a grand slam home run to put them up, they tacked on one run in the 8th.
ODU lead off the top of the 9th with a double, the pitcher struck out the next hitter, reliever came in to strike out the next hitter and ground out the last batter.
It was awesome. College baseball is a blast to watch even with the aluminum bats.

bskinn77

Yeah, that would be the Red Sox. Youk is back, and apparently, so is Ortize. Nice timing. Also nice to see the Rays back in their usual place...6.5 games back and skidding.......

Ortiz is far from being back he is about done he has been sliding in all his stats the last couple of years.......and like I said the season is still early :) Rays have had some unfortune injuries and some struggling pitching starting and bullpen but besides that they manage to lead the lead in almost every category. I am sure they will pull out of this slump and make things happen they are far to good of a team not too.

ReefLady

Staff member
Agree on Ortiz. He's got a way to go, but is just one player. We also have a couple very good players we didn't have before.

Rays have had some unfortune injuries and some struggling pitching starting and bullpen

That sounds like you're talking about the Sox. :) Youk was hurt, Smoltz still is working his way back up, etc. etc. Pitching & bullpen both struggling.

they manage to lead the lead in almost every category.

Not really a stats person, but I'm pretty sure Youk is pretty high up a far as hitting/RBI's, and I think Ellsbury sits pretty near the top in base stealing.

I agree it's way to early to have any insight into October at this point. We'd both better keep an eye out for the Yanks, though. I honestly don't think the Jays will be the "power" they started out the season as. I think the Sox, Rays, and Yanks will be battling it out until the end.

bskinn77

Yea the Yankees are looking very strong just goes to show the AL East is by FAR the hardest division in baseball. Just to throw some stats your way these are all Tampa Bay Rays, Jason Bartlett .373 Batting average currently 2nd in all MLB(just went on 15 day DL with a hurt ankle), Carlos Pena-16 HR's Leads AL 3rd in all MLB, Evan Longoria 51 RBI's Leads all MLB, Rays lead all MLB in runs scored, Carl Crawford is 5th in Hits in MLB and is #1 in MLB in stolen bases 9 stolen bases more then elsbury who is 2nd in MLB.

ReefLady

Staff member
So, a question...and I'm not trying to be a jerk, just a question...

You guys look great in stats. Seriously. So why 6 games back? What's driving that?

For us, though even in first (for the time being), I think our pitching (starting & bullpen) is killing us. We have Wakefield & Beckett....everyone else is hit or miss. And Paplebon is no longer our "rock" - even though today he was great. And I do believe he leads the AL in saves.

But heck, football is my favorite sport.... LOL

Definitely agree, AL East is the *premiere* division.

bskinn77

The rays basically same problem pithing is horrible right now starters and bullpen the bullpen gave up a 10-0 lead the other night 7 runs in the bottom of the 9th 7 runs off 3 hits!!!!

ReefLady

Staff member
Gotta love where the Sox are sitting right now (any place in front of the Yanks is a great place, but 4 up is sweet). Still way to early to know how things are going to play out for October though.

Anyway, I really just wanted to say that I am SO glad that the Sox put No-Dice Matsuzaka on DL. And rumor has it that it's not going to be just 15 days, but more like a couple months at a minimum. I'd be happy if he we quietly traded him away at some point.

And Smoltz's first start is Thursday...excited to see how that goes!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Atlanta Braves
bek127.gif