base rock vs LR.

novanosis

I just want to know if I go the base route vs LR. Can it still be seeded and work just as well? I want to start off wit everything dead. No live sand or LR.

If you pick LR tell me why, or if you say either tell me why. Thank you

I have only one question...why wouldn't you want live sand or LR? If it is the cost, consider your investment carefully. There are some significant benefits to LR, such as biodiversity that you will never get out of a bottle. OTOH, there are some risks as well, like pests.

I have used both. My recommendation would be to use live sand and add reef bones as your base structure to save money. Add the LR on top to make it pretty, and to seed the bones. They will colonize fairly rapidly.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Base Rock becomes "alive" from other LIVE items.

As mentioned above you'll get a LOT of diversity with LR. I used dead base rock for the foundation and then used premium LIVE ROCK on top of that. In a years time the "Live" part is the same but the diversity will only come from adding really LOADED live rock.

Varga

IMO Base rock is the only way everyone should do it. Seed it with a tiny piece of LR and you are good to go. Much much cheaper AND you didn't steal from the ocean. 6-8 months later and your base rock looks identical to LR and you saved $8 per pound :D

novanosis

IMO Base rock is the only way everyone should do it. Seed it with a tiny piece of LR and you are good to go. Much much cheaper AND you didn't steal from the ocean. 6-8 months later and your base rock looks identical to LR and you saved $8 per pound :D

now thats the answer I was looking for!

Sounds good, now to get some base rock and start all over again!

novanosis

I have only one question...why wouldn't you want live sand or LR? If it is the cost, consider your investment carefully. There are some significant benefits to LR, such as biodiversity that you will never get out of a bottle. OTOH, there are some risks as well, like pests.

I have used both. My recommendation would be to use live sand and add reef bones as your base structure to save money. Add the LR on top to make it pretty, and to seed the bones. They will colonize fairly rapidly.

Diversity does not out wight PESTS, at least for me it wont. That is only my opinion.

This the only reason I am going this route. I will start a new chronicle and take it very slow. I made huge mistakes and I sure was butchered about them. I don't regret you guys flaming me either, so be ready for the next step, I will surely need your help.

novanosis

Also a tiny bit of LR will be fine. I will grab some from a local reefer who has had nothing really come out of his. I think it will just take longer is all. I will go slow and I mean slow...