Baffles vs. no Baffles

Hey everybody,

Just curious if anybody doesn't use baffles in their sump? I was curious as to what the exact advantages are to using them, I mean I know they control the water height in each section and can act as a bubble trap but is there anything else I'm missing?

-Jim

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey everybody,

Just curious if anybody doesn't use baffles in their sump? I was curious as to what the exact advantages are to using them, I mean I know they control the water height in each section and can act as a bubble trap but is there anything else I'm missing?

-Jim

Hello,
just bubble traps :) for water height, you dont need all 3 top under and top ... .

if you are going with a nice overflow and drain pipes which wont produce bubbles, and a good skimmer with no bubbles, then you most likely wont need baffles, although I like to have them, as macro bubbles in display dont really look good :) just in case

steved13

PREMIUM
I have no baffles in my sump. My sump is really just a place for my skimmer. I also use it for my ATO, reactors and probes. It's just a box, the overflow runs into a very fine sock, fills the sump and gets pumped back.

PIMPALA

mine only had one baffle, which didnt work at all, and didnt stop any micro bubbles. it was just basically a divider for the skimmer, and the pumps. So i stuck some foam in there at the water line where the divider is... that helped a little. then i cut a huge piece of poly the size of the sump, and put it in front of the divider... kind of like a poly baffle. it helped more. then i put a foam tube on the drain, and another on the skimmer exit. that got rid of MOST of my micro bubbles. LOL

i know my main problem however, is too much flow from the mag 1800.

seafansar

Mine had no baffles. I just used an old 55 gallon for my 150 gallon display and a 10 gallon for my 40 gallon display. I tried making baffles for the 55, but they didn't work (leaked) and I just took them out. Had more room without them.

Hmm very interesting guys this is bass ackwards of what I expect haha I thought everybody ran the baffles... well in that case I mostly won't use them then.

Thanks for the help everybody!

carmexx

I had a 10 gal sump without baffles for at least 14 months and I gotta say putting baffles in was the best thing I ever did. I used to have to adjust my skimmer daily. Now since the water level is constant I don't have to touch my skimmer. I say Go with Baffles!

why would you have to adjust? Since the water level was dropping I assume? If so (which is the only reason I can think of for needing to do so) I don't think I'll have to worry about it since I plan to have an auto top off plus I think a 10 gallon would be effected more by evaporation than a 20... I know it isn't a big difference but the water level change wouldn't be as noticable