Back to the Hobby with my 56

jrhaughey

Since everyone likes to see what we are doing, I though I would share too. Not much too look at, but we all start slow.

I set up a 56 gal RR tank I got from Craig's List on 1/11. Tank, stand, sump, hood w/ Ice Cap 430 ballast and (3) old VHO Bulbs, 200W heater, and an external pump. All for $170.

Unexpectedly, the next day I found 25lbs of Fiji live rock for $35 also on CL. So, now I had a reason to get the tank set up and fast. So, off to That Fish Place.

A box of Reef Crystals, 50lbs of live sand, and 20lbs of Aragonite, and I'm almost there. Just need RO Water. Luckily, the grocery store near by has a really good RO vending machine. So, @ $0.30 per gallon and my 3 five gallon jugs, I start hauling water and filling the tank.

I put the aragonite in first, then the live sand and live rock. I let it settle overnight while I got the stuff to connect the pump.

When I connected the pump, I did not have any means of mechanical filtration. I just had to wait for it to settle out, but I still really hasn't and I have even installed a 200 micron filter sock of the overflow tube in the sump. The water is still not clear and there are fine particles floating throughout.

Any ideas?

I also got rid of the VHO bulbs and now have 4 T5s, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus, & 1 Aquablue. Reto kit from Reefgeek. The pics below are more blue than it really is. The pic of the 4-line wrasse looks closest.

I have been testing my water about every 3 days, and it never really cycled. I guess I have a good stock of bacteria. Everything measures 0 and the pH is about 8.3

I have also added a Reef Octopus NWB-110 Protein Skimmer in the sump.

Live stock now includes:

2 Firefish gobies
1 Bartlett Anthias that the LFS had marked as a Fairy Basslet
1 4-line wrasse
1 clownfish
1 green coral goby, who is MIA
1 tube anemone
and some cleaners; red leg hermits, turbo snails, sand sifting starfish, and nassarius vibex snails

and 2 mushrooms I got for free, but they are tiny.

Here are some pics
DSC05231.jpg

DSC05220.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

I have tried different settings on my camera, but can't seen to really get any really good pictures. Some were taken with flash, and different settings. These are the best of what I took.

Jason

jrhaughey

Also, this weekend, I'm heading to That Fish Place for the Frag Swap. I have what I think is a good list of coral to start with.

Bright Green - Purple Lord Acans
Super Ultra Orange Aussie Rainbow Acans
Montipora cap
Kenya tree
Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone- Ultra
Superman Mushrooms
Ice and Fire Zoas
Mini Green Birdsnest colony
EAGLE EYE ZOOS
LE MONTIPORA SETOSA
REAL DEAL AOG
Green monti cap
Pulsing Zenia
Armor of Gods Zoas
Hammer Green w/ purple tips.
Kedd Redd Zoas

I was into this pretty heavy from '92 to about 2000. Then life happened; wife, kids, house, . . . Now I'm back and really excited. Boy how things have changed.
Acan, what is that?
Challace, never hear of it.
No tonga rock! What do you mean?
Coral from AU? No way!
You want me to do WHAT with my favia brain to frag it?

Smokey301

I dont mean to sound harsh and I have no idea how much experience you have(I only have a few years into SW) but is the tank 3 days old? Way too young for all those fish if you ask me, I would def. think that there would be somethin happenin with your water but cycling takes a good amount of time

PIMPALA

I dont mean to sound harsh and I have no idea how much experience you have(I only have a few years into SW) but is the tank 3 days old? Way too young for all those fish if you ask me, I would def. think that there would be somethin happenin with your water but cycling takes a good amount of time

I was just thinking the same thing. I hope all those things make it ok if so.

jrhaughey

Actually, it is 3 weeks old. Yes it is young, but seems to be very stable. If it was not, I would not have any fish in there. I learned that lesson long ago.

Before I had to move from IN to PA, I was into SW for about 8 years. At the end, I had about 1500 gallons of SW setup in the basement and shipping LR in from Walt Smith and Corals as well. That was when the Fiji LR was good.

I have worked with many different people in the business. From helping a LFS setup and maintain over 2000 gallons of SW to working with an importer for the summer.

Not that it really means anything only to give you an idea of the time frame I was in the hobby before, but I was at MACNA when the Bangii Cardinals where publically annouced to the hobby community. They did not even have any on-site it was that new.

I am no expert on marine biology, but I think I am very knowledgeable.

Last edited:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't think anyone doubts your experience but putting that many fish and new corals into a 3 week old tank in most cases will overload your biological and cause the tank to crash or at the very least some serious algae issues, not saying this will happen but we see it on a regular basis of people rush stocking a tank.

Not saying this will happen to you but it's not uncommon.

Looks like a great setup, I look forward to seeing the progress and hopefully in your right in the ideal that in 3 weeks the tank is established enough to support that bioload.

jrhaughey

Yes, we will see. The tank has already cycled through the diatom algae bloom and the green algae bloom.

The corals I'll be putting in are established frags, so the overall bioload will be small. I will post pics to see how it goes.

jrhaughey

On my way home from the Frag Swap at That Fish Place. Boy what a zoo. But it was a great experience.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when things are settled in.

jrhaughey

I green candy cane isn't doing so well. First couple of days it looked fine, now, it's not expanding. I moved it to the bottom, maybe that will help.

jrhaughey

Just placed my first order with Mr. Coral. Can't wait.
Here are some updated pics of the same corals above. Let's see how they have grown!
Green Bird's Nest:
446944d9.jpg

Green Monti:
ae2d4a94.jpg

My Acan has babies around the base! Pic taken after the lights were off with me holding a flashlight.
924abfb6.jpg

Eagle Eyes:
84d07db3.jpg

jrhaughey

The Green Birds nest is always more extended then in the pic above, but this way you can see the branching better. I need to find a better way then using by cell phone for pics! I haven't had much luck with my digital camera because of setting the white balance. But I'm still trying.

Here are some new items from the King of Purssia Frag Swap this past weekend.
Green Stag - I got one nice frag and immediatly made it into 4. :D
955a5f4f.jpg

Pink Digi
e781c89c.jpg

Orange Digi
43f45854.jpg

Here is my Mummy Eye feeding:
49ea0278.jpg

Last edited:

jrhaughey

thanks ShellB, Not bad for the iPhone 3GS

How is the battle with the HA going? Are you guys winning? Have you tried tiger blood or maybe you need some Charlie Sheen additives.

QuentinB

Ha, I'd like to think we're winning, but tiger blood is on our list :D My hope is that in a month we'll have it at least to a controllable amount.