Eric John

Hi everyone so after 15 years I decided to get back into the hobby ... back in high school I had 75 gallon set up live rock/sand, canister filter, protein skimmer the basics and surprisingly it did well ... now I see there are far better options and I have a little more to spend than a high school kid with a part time job .... anyway I had my heart set on the Red Sea max s650 (with a possible skimmer upgrade) until I stopped in a store today and the manger said I was making a horrible choice. He suggested the innovative marine sr-120 (largest they make) and a ghost skimmer. Granted it seems like a nice set up and is a lot cheaper but there is no sump and everything is on the back... any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

When you get a tank, start a thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

I know I see lots of beautiful successful RSM tanks here on RS... see what others think.

Eric John

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

When you get a tank, start a thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

I know I see lots of beautiful successful RSM tanks here on RS... see what others think.
Thank you .... just wanted some non biased advice. I have seen a lot of good things about Red Sea on the forums ... will definitely post pics once I get started ... just got to decide which route to go first ... and if I go with Red Sea should I go smaller or go all out

mr_tap_water

Hi there welcome to RS
And I would say go all out only live once[emoji846]
Also will be looking forward to seeing your progress with your new system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

I don't have a Red Sea and when I make my next tank purchase it still won't be one... that said, I have yet to meet an unhappy owner of one. I like the options of the built it yourself styles and a canopy to help control all the dog hair I deal with. Also, not having a bunch of stuff behind your tank will make it much easier to perform maintenance or change things up. As a siphon overflow owner, I look forward to a drilled tank in the future. That said, nothing wrong with a siphon if you take precautions. Get what you want and make the decision that makes you happy. If you change your mind because of a store owner, you could regret it. Also remember they are concerned with profit, and he may make more on the tank he recommended. You will be happy with either system imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric John

I don't have a Red Sea and when I make my next tank purchase it still won't be one... that said, I have yet to meet an unhappy owner of one. I like the options of the built it yourself styles and a canopy to help control all the dog hair I deal with. Also, not having a bunch of stuff behind your tank will make it much easier to perform maintenance or change things up. As a siphon overflow owner, I look forward to a drilled tank in the future. That said, nothing wrong with a siphon if you take precautions. Get what you want and make the decision that makes you happy. If you change your mind because of a store owner, you could regret it. Also remember they are concerned with profit, and he may make more on the tank he recommended. You will be happy with either system imo

Thanks for the advice ... as far as the store owner I noticed Red Sea was brand he didn't carry (hint) ... definitjey going to do more research and not make an impulse buy. I want a tank that I will be happy with years to come. Thanks again for the advice.

saintsreturn

Love that plan! The RSMs are sexy units and I wanted one for years... I may still get one when I get settled in but I really want one larger than they sell which is why I said I may not go that route. I can't stress enough how important it is to have access to your plumbing and all parts, which is why I caution against a lot on the back of a tank. I only have my return on the back and I would change that if I could. It's so hard to clean and when I drop stuff down the pipe it's a pita to get to.

Eric John

Love that plan! The RSMs are sexy units and I wanted one for years... I may still get one when I get settled in but I really want one larger than they sell which is why I said I may not go that route. I can't stress enough how important it is to have access to your plumbing and all parts, which is why I caution against a lot on the back of a tank. I only have my return on the back and I would change that if I could. It's so hard to clean and when I drop stuff down the pipe it's a pita to get to.

I agree... that's one major thing I didn't like about the innovative marine tank he recommended. Everything was built into the back of the tank ... literally everything!

saintsreturn

That would make me nervous. Don't get me wrong, you may setup and never have a need to get back there... but that one time you do... especially with snails or silencers or algae... man that would suck

spiraling

If you want to replace the skimmer and heater, have you looked at the red sea reefer? I has a drilled tank and doesn't have everything in the back like the 650. Smaller tank, but I thought I saw they are coming our with a 625 this year. But you get to buy the skimmer you want. and other parts too. maybe not a beginner build, but very nice tanks.

That being said - I've seen several 650's that are stunning!

Eric John

change of plans ... kinda ... just ordered the Red Sea Max Nano. Gonna give that I run to get reacquainted before going big. Should be here soon and ill keep you updated on the progress. Plus Im kinda a photo/film hobbyist so maybe a video of the progression.

th3star

Hi everyone so after 15 years I decided to get back into the hobby ... back in high school I had 75 gallon set up live rock/sand, canister filter, protein skimmer the basics and surprisingly it did well ... now I see there are far better options and I have a little more to spend than a high school kid with a part time job .... anyway I had my heart set on the Red Sea max s650 (with a possible skimmer upgrade) until I stopped in a store today and the manger said I was making a horrible choice. He suggested the innovative marine sr-120 (largest they make) and a ghost skimmer. Granted it seems like a nice set up and is a lot cheaper but there is no sump and everything is on the back... any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated
I'm following along. I have a RSM 130 and I'm looking to upgrade to the Red Sea Reefer 250 or 350. Good luck with your Nano and keep us posted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Eric John

So everything arrives in a cpl days ... but as far as test kits supplements etc I got the Red Sea marine care kit and the Red Sea reef mature pro kit. I'm guessing I also need the Red Sea reef foundation pro test kit but what about Red Sea colors pro test kit? Also which supplements should I purchase? Or any other suggestions it changes? Thank you! ... also once I start where should I post progression notes and pics?

th3star

So everything arrives in a cpl days ... but as far as test kits supplements etc I got the Red Sea marine care kit and the Red Sea reef mature pro kit. I'm guessing I also need the Red Sea reef foundation pro test kit but what about Red Sea colors pro test kit? Also which supplements should I purchase? Or any other suggestions it changes? Thank you! ... also once I start where should I post progression notes and pics?
My local fish store offers free testing. Im doing that for the time being. My first time around I went crazy and bought everything. This time I'm taking it slow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk