B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System...

SaltyQueen

I currently am not using any sort of kalk drip to buffer my tank, & I'd like to start using something. Because I want to avoid having to buy all sorts of dosing equipment, I'm interested in trying a product by ESV called B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System. Here are the instructiond for use from thrit website:

"Our recommended starting dose is 1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day. Maintain alkalinity between 3.0 and 3.75 meq/liter (8.4 and 10.5 dKH) by testing daily and adjusting dose accordingly. Depending on the degree of calcification occurring in the aquarium, dose may have to be significantly increased over our recommended starting dose. Never add more than 1 ml. per gallon of each component in a 24 hour period, and never allow pH to rise above 8.45. Once the proper dose has been determined for your aquarium, testing can be performed less frequently. If your aquarium tends to run at a higher pH (over 8.45) we suggest you try our B-Ionic Calcium Bicarbonate System. When using kalkwasser in addition to B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System, follow the above procedure but start with 1 ml of each component per 8 gallons of aquarium capacity per day. For more detailed directions please refer to our product label."

Now, maybe I'm being a complete moron- but these directions seem to contradict eachother. First, they say to add 1ml of each solution for every 4 gallons of water, then they say not to add more than 1ml per gallon. So I'm wondering- is it 1ml of each solution for every 4 gallons or for every 1 gallon??? Also, do you add it all at once, or over a period of several days? Then, once you've reached the adequate "starting dose" do you still add it every day, or only as needed? The website says that a supply to treat 30 gallons for 60 days is $16.50- if this is something that gets added every day, even after the starting dose, that is ridicuously expensive! I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product that could explain it to me in not so confusing terms- the ESV website isn't very clear on this.

Also, I've seen a similar product by Kent Marine called Tech CB- it's also a 2-soltuion set, but seems a lot easier to use, and it says that 16oz of each solution (part A & part B), which is about $10, will treat 1900 gallons. This seems a lot more economical!

So if anyone has any experience with either of these products, I'd love to know how they worked for you, if one is better than the other, etc.

Thanks!

Maxx

hey SQ,
I'm actually using Sea-chems Reef Advantage Calcium, and Reef Builder for my Cal and Alk needs. It works great for me...but I have a moderate load of calcium dependant critters...
If you gonna stock up on stony corals and clams, I would seriously consider a calcium reactor. I've been told all sorts of stories re: how fast stony corals in a heavily stocked tank will suck the Calciumout of the water column. The inital cost of a reactor is expensive, but with in a year its usually paid for itself in terms of money not spent on two part solutions. If your tank isnt going to be heavily stocked than stick w/ the two parters....
But I'm definately going w/ a reactor for my new set up....
HTH,
Nick

Scooterman

1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity

In another words, starting out say for a 50g tank you would need 12.5ml which would be 1ml per every 4 gallons but maximum of 1ml per gallon would be 50ml per 50g

hope that clears that up. I use the Kent, & only because that was what I could get at the time & just sticking with it. Before you do any of this you will need to test CA,MG, ALK & PH on a regular basis. to little MG will cause problems & ALK also has to be in balance. Mike has awesome information posted at the information forums in the chemistry section, it will provide you with the proper information.

Last edited:

jks1

Scoot- so you think it is critical to test for MG? I understand the chemical relationships, but have never tested for it in my tank. Should I?

mredman

B-Ionic requires no initial equipment investment but is the most expensive means to add calcium in the long run. With a 540 gallon tank, I would be nearly bankrupt after using this product in my tank for a year.

In contrast, a calcium reactor is the most expensive initial set up but the least expensive in the long run.

Mike

SaltyQueen

For my 29 gallon, I'm thinking that the Kent Marine Tech CB will be the easiest for me without being too expensive- thanks for everyone's input!

ReefLady

Staff member
I would agree, with a tank that size- unless completely loaded with stony corals- a 2-part buffer (Tech CB, B-ionic, etc) is your best choice.

The guidelines are a starting point (1ml/4gal) and a maximum (1ml/gal). Yours should probably fall somewhere in between.

Make sure you have good Alk and CA test kits before you start dosing, or you could wind up with a serious headache.

T

wooddood

the wood dude
im going with a calcium/kaulk reactor my self.i agree the initial cost is steep but i agree in the long run it will pay off.

Rob's Reef

I have used B-Ionic off and on for the last few years. For a small tank (<55 gallons), it is an ideal Ca/Alk system.

bwhit1406

I use B-Ionic 3 times a week during top offs. My tank has been running really good. I bought the gallon jugs you save a little money that way.

ArtemisGoldfish

Risen from the grave....

I use API for Calcium and Carbonate Hardness/Alk.

I don't test for Magnesium. I don't particularly see the point as it gets added via food and organic breakdown. Additionally, any two parter is going to supply the needed Mag deficits.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF