Auto top Off info needed

I am wanting an auto top off system to hook directly to My RO line without having a RO water storage tank as I dont have the extra room . Any recommendations are appreciated to ones you suggest or pointers that will help. I am running a 110 reef tank and want to add this to my sump. I found a JBJ ATO unit for just under $100..... Ilkie what it says but not sure if it is a pump or just a sensor and if it will hook up directly to my RO line. Any info is appreciated in advance.

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE??????????? No info posted but a lot of viewers. Come on RSers, help me out here . I know you reef experts are holding back..... Thanx Susie

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sorry. I have not used an ATO on a direct RO line and so can't make any recommendations. I am interested in the answer though

Reddog170

It would be simple to setup yourself. Just set things up so that your sensor that would turn on the pump turns the supply on to the ro unit instead. This way when your sump/tank is full your ro unit is then shut off. Just make certian that the waste line is run to a drain somewhere. Shaun

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just be VERY careful doing it like this. If you have a technical malfunction you'll dump a lot of FW into your tank where-by drastically changing your SG.

Jeremy0322

YouTube - DIY Auto Top Off System

This is what I am going to do, but I am going to solder the wires and then figure out a way to protect everything from splashes better, but you can get a float switch for like 7 bucks on eBay, an extension cord for like 10 bucks for a good one, and an aqualifter pump for 15 bucks (my storage bin is in the basement, so I needed the lifting capability).

chipmunkofdoom2

I would STRONGLY recommend NOT hooking up your RO/DI directly to your tank, regardless of the fact that you have an ATO system between it.

As Al said, if any part in this system malfunctions, it could lead to catastrophic, floor wrecking floods, which could eventually lead to your tank dropping through the floor or other good times. This scenario may not be likely, but you must keep in mind that every layer of complexity you add to a system increases the magnitude with witch it will fail. Always think of worst case scenario when planning things. Worst case scenario if you hook up a never ending source of water to your tank? The possibilities are never ending.. Worst case scenario with a smaller reservoir? You get the carpet a little wet.

Your reservoir doesn't have to be huge... it can be as little as 5 gallons, effectively using up an old salt bucket. Bear in mind though that if you have a big tank, you'll go through that pretty quickly.

Once I get my frag tank/refugium hybrid up, I plan on implementing this simple, cheap ATO. All together will end up running me $20.

Jeremy0322

Good to see we were on the same page here. :lol:

I would STRONGLY recommend NOT hooking up your RO/DI directly to your tank, regardless of the fact that you have an ATO system between it.

As Al said, if any part in this system malfunctions, it could lead to catastrophic, floor wrecking floods, which could eventually lead to your tank dropping through the floor or other good times. This scenario may not be likely, but you must keep in mind that every layer of complexity you add to a system increases the magnitude with witch it will fail. Always think of worst case scenario when planning things. Worst case scenario if you hook up a never ending source of water to your tank? The possibilities are never ending.. Worst case scenario with a smaller reservoir? You get the carpet a little wet.

Your reservoir doesn't have to be huge... it can be as little as 5 gallons, effectively using up an old salt bucket. Bear in mind though that if you have a big tank, you'll go through that pretty quickly.

Once I get my frag tank/refugium hybrid up, I plan on implementing this simple, cheap ATO. All together will end up running me $20.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like how you say "plan for worse case scenario". I know some people scoff at me for always being the "Mean Guy" and shooting ideas down but I'd rather be "That guy" and plant a seed of worse case than to hear about the WORSE CASE happening later on. KUDOS to you for thinking that way and suggesting that way.

newreefguy

Jeremy, get you some shrink wrap tubing... just make sure you get the right diameter tubing for your wire size... this does well.

Jeremy0322

Yea, there are a few things I have seen to make it safer, its also going to help that the wiring will be in a separate cabinet that will always be dry. But like everyone is saying, I would like to make it safe Just In Case something does happen in that cabinet.

Dragonne

Kent Marine makes a simple float valve that hooks to standard RO tubing for $15-20. It won't work for a typical RO unit (it doesn't control power and won't hold a lot of pressure), but it works fine from a resevoir. I use a 5 gallon bucket (old salt bucket) with a 1/4" hole drilled in the lid and siphon from that into the sump section of my sump/fuge. I start the siphon from the top down with a 5' piece of flex tubing. I just fill the tube with water (by siphon), while holding the RO tube underwater I slip the flex tube over the end, then raise up the flex so that it forces water into the RO and over the siphon break level. The float valve takes over from there. As long as I make sure the 5g bucket doesn't get below 2" of water (I check/refill every Saturday), it never gives me a problem.

Of course, if you're a real DIY person, you can rig up a similar float valve using a replacement float and hinge from just about any toilet, a few pieces of small pipe/tubing, and some washers/gaskets. It would probably take about 30 minutes to rig something up after about 15 minutes in a hardware store staring at the parts until the design pops into your head. Well, that how DIY projects work for me anyway. :)