Australian Spider Sponge Care

Courtney

Hi all thought I would start this thread to gain knowledge and care tips on the australian spider sponge. So any tips and tricks or information would be appreciated :)

ReefingFun

Not sure about tips or tricks, but can perhaps just give some general information that was told to me by a lady in our aquarium club.
She kept a log for over a year of her Spider Sponge, as they are hard to keep. I can only recommend that you do the same to follow up on your sponge's progression.

Summary of her log - will refer to the Spider Sponge as "The Sponge":

- Flow: The Sponge seemed to prefer a strong flow, but not aimed directly at it. The Sponge thrived most with changing flow and seems to prefer a horizontal stream, rather than a diagonal one. Avoid upwards pushing flow.
- Food: Had the best results with phytoplankton. When The Sponge grew, I could occasionally feed small mysis, larvae or other types of food that fits. However it seemed to be healthiest with the plankton. Take special attention when feeding other corals or creatures that the flow does not carry bigger food parts in The Sponge's direction, as the pores can get clogged.
- Water: The Sponge started to "wither" with Nitrate levels higher than 15ppm. As such I kept nitrates lower than 5-10ppm at all times.

That's what I can remember from it really. Not much but yeah... Wasn't really so interested in that one tbh, as in no way am I prepared to keep one (yet).

Good luck with it and would love to see a log with pics sometimes :thumbup:

Courtney

Thank you for the post. Some good information about the flow as my sponge hasn't opened up since I fist introduced it to my tank so maybe it isn't happy with flow or position I have put it in.

Courtney

I got it last Tuesday so I have had it a week and it has only opened once and like I said that was when it was first introduced into my tank so I'm not sure what is wrong with it unless it is still getting used to my tank maybe.

Courtney

My test results using salifert test kits were

Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Ammonia between 0-0.25ppm

Last edited:

Courtney

It died off sadly nothing I could do it just wouldn't come out to feed even though all my thank parameters were fine so I haven't a clue what happened to it.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry that it perished. Don't beat yourself up though. These are notorious for not doing well in aquariums.

Mike Johnson

I have quite a few sponges; some for years. I also have a tank with intense lighting, so I'm sure that makes a difference. I have found that none of them grow well in bright light; in fact shaded is the only way that they do well. Moving a rock and exposing a sponge to bright light kills that part of quickly.