Attention Facebook Users

Dweezil

Everyone's phone number is no longer private on Facebook !! Go to the top right of yourscreen, click Account then Edit Friends. Go to the left side of your screen and click Phonebook. Everyone's phone numbers are now being published.

You can fix this by doing the following: go to Account (on the right side of the screen), Privacy Settings, Select Custom on the left, and Customize Settings, on the right. On that screen you can tweak the security on all of your FB information.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thank goodness I never put mine in! I never put my address in either, other than city. That was really a dumb thing to do by Facebook!

BigJay

this has been a known issue and all information should be set to friends only. Facebook had a notification out when the change happened that all information would be shared with third party advertisers to entice other users on facebook. Ie you will see ad's that show your friends who are using or may have looked at that product. Much of that information however is not actually given to the third party. As far as being published I am unaware of this and a quick search turned up nothing showing an actual publishing of the information. If you could link that article that states it, it would be much appreciated.
Adding your contact info however is pretty nifty when you have a phone that comes with facebook mobile and can cross reference all facebook info with the phone. And this I believe is the current issue is the reverse of people syncing contacts from the phone to facebook. Facebook has denied that it is possible for anyone to see those numbers however regardless of privacy settings.

Dweezil

Jay, Please re-read my post. You can see everyone's phone number if you follow the directions in the post. I have always set mine to friends only for most things but some may not be aware of how to do this....that was the reason for the post. :)

Dweezil

I was not implying they were publishing the info to 3rd parties but if I log into facebook and click on my friends edit friends and click on phonebook everyone's numbers are there for the world to see unless they have it set accordingly.

BigJay

ok I thought something new happened. This was done sometime back. THere is a rumor flying around the internet right now from the sync app. When facebook changed they set everyone to public, which made many people irate. Facebook has never listened to it's users though , so I don't expect it to change now.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It appears that I only see the phone numbers of my FB friends that have entered that information, which is only a handful of the people on my friends list.

BigJay

that's facebook's current stance Terry, That even though it looks like everyone can see it , really only your friends can see the numbers.

Dweezil

Right Terry..most people have it set to "friends only" however, if your just a casual friend or like some who have 600 or 700 friends because they add everyone hahah I can't remember if I ever put my number in (I doubt it) but just in case I changed mine to "Custom" and Me only. ;)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think the majority of my friends didn't put their phone (or address) info. in for the same reason I didn't - a fear of it being used by the wrong parties. To me that's private information - if they're close friends they already have the information. If not, they don't need it! Too many hackers and bots out there trying to grab that type of information.

Dweezil

Agreed but some are not as "careful" as we are. I just had to change my son's. He's one that has about 1000 close friends. LOL