Attack of the hair (True Story)

vdituri

Dude, you pay shipping, ship each rock to me one at a time.
I'll drop it in my tank for 1 day and the algae ninja's will wipe it out.
I'm not sure what is going on in my tank, but algae has no chance.
I bought a frag with some bryopsis looking algae on it and the next morning it was picked clean.

It's the algae magic eraser. Don't understand it,but I'm not gonna question it.

What corals do you have in there again? I got lazy and didn't feel like tracking it down. lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Dude, you pay shipping, ship each rock to me one at a time.
I'll drop it in my tank for 1 day and the algae ninja's will wipe it out.
I'm not sure what is going on in my tank, but algae has no chance.
I bought a frag with some bryopsis looking algae on it and the next morning it was picked clean.

It's the algae magic eraser. Don't understand it,but I'm not gonna question it.

What corals do you have in there again? I got lazy and didn't feel like tracking it down. lol

:LOL:

I have: Xenia, Closed Brain, Palys, Finger Leather, and Zoas.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Corals will be okay without light for 3-4 days.

What are the nitrAtes? What is the magnesium?
  • Slowly raise the alk to 11 dkh
  • Raise the magnesium to 1500ppm
  • Start using a polyfilter (removes all forms of po4)
  • Start blowing your rocks off (LOL) ... blow the ditritus off of them so the algae doesn't have a food source
  • Clean all sponges
  • Replace carbon (if you use it) with fresh after soaking it in ro/di overnight

Have you tried to raise the mg yet? It works even with the dreaded bryopsis...

Killing Bryopsis with Elevated Levels of Magnesium

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Corals will be okay without light for 3-4 days.

Have you tried to raise the mg yet? It works even with the dreaded bryopsis...

Killing Bryopsis with Elevated Levels of Magnesium

To be honest I have not because I don't have the test kits yet. My timing just SUCKS. I can't order anything ONLINE due to "Identity Theft" and our new Debit cards are here yet (any day now hopefully) and my LFS doesn't have a MAG or Alk test kit so I have no way of knowing where I am or how much to dose to GET me there. If I go out of town to a place that has a REAL LFS I'll pick up the kits this weekend and start just that. Otherwise I have to wait till my new debit cards get here. The humor is I have them in my "Shopping Cart" at an online store but can't pay for them and they wont accept an IOU.... go figure :)

Thanks Doni :)

i just went through the same thing in my 55, only worse, believe it or not. thankfully i only have a couple of shrimo in the tank. i took out all the rock, scrubbed it clean, scrubbed the glass etc .... . things are looking better, just ordered an RO unit and a cleaning crew, so i hope to never go through this again

Triggerjay

I had a recent outbreak in my 125. My purchase of a powder brown, and a foxface cleaned it up in two days. My loc-lines were covered in it... two days later, not a sign of it. I got lucky though, as it never got into the rocks. The HA started right after I got the canopy finished, and put the MH over the tank. I also run phosban, but I think the two little fishies reactor is small for my 300g setup. I have thought about fabbing a bigger unit. Good luck with the lights out method. Too bad your nano is too small for a tang.. You have the 75g running yet? you could get a tang or foxface for it, and bring the HA rocks home and put them in the 75 for "cleaning"?

Jason

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Okie dokie! I got a new Sea Hare yesterday and acclimated him for SIX hours. That's a new acclimation record for me. I slipped him into his new home and watched him got to work on eating HA! Well within a few minutes I looked up and those DANG peppermint shrimp were on his back just picking away. It looks horrible to see this happening. I tend to "under-feed" my tank so I dropped some food pellets into the tank. The shrimp quickly converged on the pellers and ignored the sea hare. I come in this morning and he's busy eating like usual and when I look back they are AGAIN picking at him. He doesn't even seem to pay them any mind but it just looks wrong. I dropped another pair of pellets into the tank and again they ignored him. Just now I look over and TWO are picking at his skin. Again I drop a couple of pellets into the water and they are now busily "gnawing" on the pellets like they haven't eaten in WEEKS! I can't keep feeding them like this or my tank will surely get polluted.

Has ANYONE else seen this happen and it NOT kill the Sea Hare? I'll take it out before I knowingly leave it in there to be eaten alive. Ideas?

Koda2007

Really daft idea but worth a try,

Put pellets into some sort of trap and try to trap the shrimps, hopefully you may know someone who might look after them for while. The sea hares job on the algae will be worth it.
The sea hare are amazing lawn mowers I have one in my reef. Would never be without one. The only prob is that they are so good at there job they soon run out of food. They are quite difficult to get to feed on anything else. I actually have a pond plant basket at top tank that I grow hair algae in, as the basket is near to lights the algae grows really fast. Every now and again I place the sea hare in the basket to top up food supply.
As for shrimps bothering the hare, I have peppermints, cleaners, a boxer and some blood shrimps an none of them bother it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Right now he's eating over the tops of my rocks and no one is even paying him any attention. Maybe I need to feed the shrimp more.....

I'll keep an eye out and keep yall posted.

i put a 4" sea hare in my tank around 4pm, and noticed that the peppermint shrimp were picking at it. i get home at 9pm, and it's no where to be found. i have 34gal cube with not a lot of places for a creature his size to hide.
my hermits and brittle star are all napping at the moment.
could they have killed and completely devowered it in that short of time?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i put a 4" sea hare in my tank around 4pm, and noticed that the peppermint shrimp were picking at it. i get home at 9pm, and it's no where to be found. i have 34gal cube with not a lot of places for a creature his size to hide.
my hermits and brittle star are all napping at the moment.
could they have killed and completely devowered it in that short of time?

I wouldn't think so. Trust me when I tell you it's AMAZING how small and compact "Buggz" can be. I've had him sitting on the FRONT of the rock in plain site and didn't see him. I'm sure he's in there somewhere. Also I have noticed that "Buggz" will nap in the cave I have created with rock in the upper back. If I didn't know he was there I would easily over look him and that's in a 12g tank.

*****Update*****

As of this evening my 12g Nano Cube is COMPLETELY Hair Algae free. I mean totally gone. Even the tops of the rock that stick out of the water are algae free. Buggs appears happy and well. He's currently scraping algae off the glass but he's bound for a new tank tomorrow. I am "Pimping Buggz Out" to a friend who has a large amount of Hair Algae.

:D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
**Update*

I've had "Buggz" now for a couple of weeks. He's cleand FOUR different tanks now. I've "Pimped" him out all over town and for now he's in my 10g tank until another friend needs him. He looks just like some of my LR so at times it's hard to see him in the tank. Well just now I started looking for him (Remember this IS a 10g tank and he's HUGE) and I couldn't find him. I had my nose to the front glass REALLY looking all over the LR for this MONSTER! Right under my nose (literally) this "THING" popped up and was cleaning the glass. It was Buggz! He is completely submerged in the sand bed (did I mention he's a freaking MONSTER?) with just his head sticking out. I snapped a couple of pics before the batteries went dead. It cracked Julie and I up so much watching him nibble from under the sand. I had NO idea they burrowed like that. anyone else seen that in a Sea Hare?

Buggz Hiding & Eating
IMG_3779.jpg

More Buggz hiding
IMG_3778.jpg