Ato sensor

I am attempting to make an auto top off. I have used three DIFFERENT float switches, all of which work for one second and then get stuck shut allowing 120v to the pump.

I used the simple method of cutting a the extension cord and wiring the float switch on one side of the wire... Once I use a butt connector and tape it up the switch doesn't work....?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yikes! I don't think you want to be working with all that voltage. I don't remember the details but these are designed for DC current not 120v AC.

Ok so

One side of the extension cord to one side of the relay
both wires of the dc converter one side of the relay

Then how do you wire in the float switch>?

chipmunkofdoom2

What you're essentially doing is wiring the float switch to the AC/DC adapter. Then, you splice that "circuit" (the float switch hooked to the AC/DC adapter) and put it on the control side of the relay. Then, splice your extension cord and put that on the line voltage side of the relay.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Luukosian

You want to run the float switch on DC not AC. When the float is "on" the DC current activates the relay which completes the 120AC circuit to the pump. Find an old cell phone charger or some other transformer you can cut the end off of. Should have the DC output voltage written on the back of the transformer. Make sure you get the correct relay too, they are pretty cheap on ebay.