Ato Idea !!!????

would it work if i had a 5 gallon tank right next to my sump then fillled it with are ro and got a small tube and tied a knot and dripped it into my sump would this work ?

thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It would take a lot of trial and error and keep in mind that "If" the knot slips and allows too much FW you'll potentially cause "Shock" to the system. I'm sure people ARE doing it that way but..... :)

what i did is i took a large bottle and made a holder of-some-sort to hold it upside down...and i placed that over the water so the mouth of the bottle is right at the water lever and so when the water goes below a bubble goes into the bottle and releases water.... i made mine for $2

ReefGuy69

I wouldnt do it that way. too risky. do it this way. so cheap and easy to do. very reliable and takes so much stress and work out of topping off. Melevsreef.com - Automatic Top Off System

you can see the pics of mine in my journal. it looks nice and functions great. you can still use your small tank as a resevour for the water.

ReefGuy69

my float has never failed on me. and i abuse it alot. knocking it around and stuff when cleaning. and in my return area where i top off i dont have any snails. so as long as your topping off in a safe area there are no snails.

Jeremy0322

I have also seen really easy systems using a crappy pump and a timer, which just pumps a gallon of water into the sump a day. I have thought about doing that because I use EXACTLY 1 gallon a day somehow, but i can see alot of ways that would screw up.

ReefGuy69

Thats too risky. if for some reason you dont loose exactly 1 gal a day. lets say you only loose .75 gal. then in 4 days your going to have an extra gallon of water lying on your floor. or it may take weeks or months. either way its to inaccurate.

Jeremy0322

Yea, but if that was the case and you got an extra gallon in a month that you turn it off for 24 hours and bam, you are right back on track. I wont be trying it anytime, it was just an idea to see if others have heard about/tried it.

rmlevasseur

If you must do it that way, at least buy one of those .99 plastic valves that you can set and drop from that instead of the knot.

Luukosian

Soccerbum, if you do the idea where you put the water container at the surface then water comes out when the level is low doesn't the salt creep into your topoff container and cause a big salinity change just like adding it all at once? just thought I'd mention that in case anyone was thinking of trying it.

jnohs

ok here is a reall easy half auto top off system. Get a plastic container prefreably with a lid to slow evaporation. then in the lid put 2 holes. one hole for air to get in and another for airline tubeing. Then fill the jug and put the top on with the airline tubeing reaching to the bottem. Put the container next to your sump, prefrably next to the last comprtment with the return pump in it. since this will probably be the compartment with the most water change heght from evaporation.
Now that the container is next to your sump set the water height of the container to the water height of your sump. connect the 2 bodies of water with the air line tubing that is "full of water".

depending on the way you set ths up you could get it to replace 30%-99%. of you top off water.

I will draw some sketches.

I plan on dointhis in the future on my tank when i set up my sump with baffles.

Jeremy0322

Some sketches or pics would be awesome, im curious to see exactly what you are talking about because it sounds super cheap and easy.

jnohs

ato3.jpg