Asking a question?

RitchieMichael

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello friends,

How do I set up a 90 gallon saltwater aquarium? If anyone having any idea please share.

Thanks in advance
Ritchie Michael

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Wow buddy there's a big answer for that one and many different ways to do it. I would start by reading some of the tank chronicles on here to give some different ideas about how you would like to set it up. We all have different ways to do it.

catran

Wow buddy there's a big answer for that one and many different ways to do it. I would start by reading some of the tank chronicles on here to give some different ideas about how you would like to set it up. We all have different ways to do it.

Absolutely! Research, research research.
Make sure you know what you're getting into. This is the most addicting hobby ever. And Shareef is right, expensive!

I love reefers...

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi there! You'll definitely want to start by doing a lot of research.

I would recommend you make use of the search feature here as you're learning. We've got over a million posts, and a lot of information within them... pretty much everything has been answered!

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions either!

Here's a link to search: Advanced Search - Reef Sanctuary

lbiminiblue

Well, the other posts gave you an idea of how general your question is, but here's the basics: what type of tank do you want? Reef? (reef tanks have corals, anemones, clams, etc.) FOWLR? (Fish Only With Live Rock) exactly what it means and FO (Fish only)? Reefs tend to be prettier, if maintained right, but you need super strong lighting. Fish only and FOWLR tend to need protein skimmers and heavier filtration in general, unless you have the same amount of fish in a reef tank. With the right amount of fish and filter feeders, disease can be easier to control in reef tanks, but fish, no matter where they are, are susceptible to disease. I would recommend looking for fish you like, and depending on if they're reef safe (won't eat corals, shrimp, crabs, or clams) you can narrow down your question. Keep asking, it'll help a lot, and you're choosing a great tank, the bigger the more stable!

DaveK

Hello friends,

How do I set up a 90 gallon saltwater aquarium? If anyone having any idea please share.

Thanks in advance
Ritchie Michael

Asking a question like this is sort of like asking "How do I fly an airplane?" It's the sort of question that can't really be answered in a few sentences. If your going to have any long term success you must gain a lot of knowledge about how reef systems work. Also, you are going to end up spending a lot of money t set up a tank that size. Be sure you can really afford it. I'd estimate that if you get everything new, you'll spend about $35 to $50 per gallon of water in the main display tank by the time you have it more or less completely stocked.

Above all, do a lot of advanced planning, and most important figure out what you want to keep in the tank, since that will determine what else you'll need and how you set up the tank.