ASIRA needs photos

sihaya

For any of you helpful reefers with cameras, ASIRA is now in need of photos for the following corals:

Merulinidae
Gorgonian
Millepora spp. (hydrocorals)
Lobophyllia/Symphyllia
Tubipora (pipe organ coral)
Porites
Turbinaria (pagoda cup coral)

They don't even have to be National Geographic-worthy photos or anything... just anything that clearly shows what the corals tend to look like would be great and most appreciated.

Thank you,
Sara, editor ASIRA

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Green tubipora
61Tubipora_musica_-_pipe_organ_cora.jpg

PipeorganTubiporamusica.jpg

Gorgonian
macro-sweepinggorgonian.jpg

sweepinggorgonian.jpg

DaBird

I'm suprised that you haven't been inundated with more "national Geo." grade pics...awsome pics. Woody and Dentoid!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm suprised that you haven't been inundated with more "national Geo." grade pics...awsome pics. Woody and Dentoid!

DITTO

Woodstock, that Finger Sea Fan there... is it just a filter feeder? How hardy is it? I almost got one this past weekend but it just looks to "pretty" for me. I figured it was something that required more light than I have. Silly me!!

Allen

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The white polyped finger sea fan is NOT photosythetic and requires frequent feedings of appropriates sized foods.

sihaya

Yeah, I really should have two separate care sheets for zoanthellate vs. azoanthellate.... ::sigh:: more work!

KodiakBear

:winner: Okay, this just became my new favorite thread. I don't have any of the corals on your list, but I sure do love looking at the pictures!:drooool:

sihaya

Aquaman - sorry, I'm not sure what the top coral is. But I probably should have clarified, when I said Millepora, I don't mean acropora, I mean hydropora (ex: fire coral).

Robert - Thanks for the lobo photo... would you mind PMing me your full name so I can credit you? :)

sihaya

Ok, well, I'm happy to report that most the photos have now been replaced (thanks to a few very generous hobbyists). The care sheets for Merulinidae and Millepora spp. (hydrocorals) have been taken down simply because very few people have those corals anyway.

The only two corals left for which we could still use another good photo or two are Porites and maybe Turbinaria (pagoda cup coral). Now I know a lot of you guys have those corals ;)

And no worries if your corals have some dead skeleton showing. Honestly, sometimes those photos are even preferred!