Artificial Reef and Coral System

mikedee17

Hi fellow RSM tank mates, lately I've been watching a show called "Tanked" about 2 guys in Vegas who install saltwater tanks throughout the U.S. They don't use LR or real corals but they use artificial reefs. So my question is, "Is there anyone out there who uses an artificial reef and coral system?" Do you prefer it over the LR etc..? Advantages /disadvantages?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Several people will use "Artificial Reef" (aka Reef Inserts) to make the tank look like a reef tank but without the troubles (and expense) of a true reef tank.

I've actually considered setting one of my current tanks up with a Coral Insert instead of going with Live Coral. With an insert you don't have to worry about light intensity and you don't have to be "as" worried about water parameters.

gbose

Mike:

I've seen a show like that once (never tuned in again); I think it was called 'Tank Kings'. IMO, if you're doing an artificial reef, you could possibly also put in plastic fish.... or go whole hog and just substitute a good picture of a tank........

Just my 2cents!

GBose