Are there any replacement skimmers for the 250?

My skimmer pump, has died again. Sigh...

I looked at old posts and they recommended the Deltec model. Apparently that is discontinued and no longer available.

I guess I could get a new pump, but I don't love the design on this skimmer and it really doesn't do that good of a job in my opinion. Not to mention it's a bear to clean.

Are there any readily available replacements? Height is not an issue as I don't run that dumb door that covers the skimmer.

mike1970

the stock skimmer works good once you get ATO. I just got the deltec one to see if it works better. I can honestly say I don't know if it does. I think when my stock skimmer was working it worked about the same.

Interesting... You may have just saved me $500. I've been running an ATO for a long time (Tunze) as I know that a consistent water level is imperative for a skimmer to work properly.

I just don't find that the stock skimmer works that well. Even adjusted aggressively. Plus it's a nightmare to clean. It may not be the design as if you're saying the Deltec wasn't much better, it could just be the size and shape limitation.

I've had other tanks with more traditional skimmers and it was a lot easier to not only get them dialed in, but to get them to pull out consistent garbage.

The RS skimmer is iffy at best. Despite having the ATO and the sump water level set high and using an inline plastic air valve instead of the stock one... It will either pull light green water or just mud the neck up. I can't seem to find a way to get it to pull "tea" like skimmate for that happy medium.

pablomay28

Interesting... You may have just saved me $500. I've been running an ATO for a long time (Tunze) as I know that a consistent water level is imperative for a skimmer to work properly.

I just don't find that the stock skimmer works that well. Even adjusted aggressively. Plus it's a nightmare to clean. It may not be the design as if you're saying the Deltec wasn't much better, it could just be the size and shape limitation.

I've had other tanks with more traditional skimmers and it was a lot easier to not only get them dialed in, but to get them to pull out consistent garbage.

The RS skimmer is iffy at best. Despite having the ATO and the sump water level set high and using an inline plastic air valve instead of the stock one... It will either pull light green water or just mud the neck up. I can't seem to find a way to get it to pull "tea" like skimmate for that happy medium.
So true. I tried the airvalve mod, water level on the 3rd bar and the ato and had the same outcome of mud in neck or water in collection cup. I opter for an external sump with an in sump skimmer and loved it untill i got the RSR 450.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
if the neck is sludging up well & you are cleaning it weekly - you are removing some nice organic compounds (food & waste) I have found mine to work pretty well.

Oxylebius

I'm still using the rsm250 stock skimmer. It works fine, going on 4 years in Oct, and I have a sps dominate tank. Too bad yours hasn't been that great. Did you do regular maintenance on the pump, cleaning it and soaking it in white vinegar to get the build up of calcium off of it? I'm wondering if you just got crappy pumps or if it was a maintenance issue.

Hopefully, others will post what replacement skimmers they bought to help give you options for replacements.

Good luck