are all firefish so scared all the time?

jck9

i have this purple flame goby/ fire fish but he is almost always hiding. he was the first fish in the tank and i dont really have anything that is aggressive. i have two clarkii, blue spot goby, square spot anthius and a pajama cardinal. noone really bothers him but he always darts back in "his" rock if anyone comes near him. ive had him for about 6-7 mos and he has always been like this since i put any other fish in. he is really pretty and i wish there was a way to get him to come out more.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mine was the same way.... this is part of the reason they are known to be "jumpers" because they are "skittish" and can literally fly out of the tank when spooked..... Mine did in the middle of the night through a slit between the glass canopy and the over flow filter that was only 1/8" x 2" and I was sure he would NEVER be able to "navigate" that gauntlet... unfortunately I was wrong...

charlesr1958

Yeah, that is a common behaviour. I've had others of the same species act as if scared of their own shadows while others could care less and are quite active in the tank. The one I have now has its "hang out" area with a nearby cave it retreats to on the rare occassion it does get spooked. I guess its just the luck of the draw on individual temperments.
You may be able to draw it out more if you had an active fish (or more of them) that swim around constantly (tangs are good for this) as the firefish will feel a sense of safety seeing that other fish are out and about and acting normal. Also keep in mind that this species of fish will need quite a few feedings throughout the day. They are "nit pickers" catching drifting bits of food as it passes by and usualy will not move away from their safe place to go and eat somewhere else. I use finely chopped krill / mysis and add just enough to the tank four times a day to get enough small pieces floating around that the fish has time to get a good bit of it as it passes by in the currents.

Chuck

rdz1

I have two and one always stays in its rock. The other is more aggressive and
stays out more. He even stands up to a damsel and my clown. Beautiful fish.

BEELZEBOB

i have your run of the mill fire fish and he was real skiddish at first.

now he chills in the WC,and darts back into his nook when startled. but he always comes right back out, and mine stands up to my damsel too.

usually when i feel timid, ive found that a six pack will usually boost my confidence!:D

sam wise

i have a mated pair of red's and a single purple, they spend about half of their time under the rocks in a cave dug by my watchman gobies, but during the day they are out and about and compete aggresively for food

prow

IME the purple ones are more aggressive than the red. i have a purple one that is king of my 115ish gal. he fights with the tang, wrasses, basslet everyone. he leaves no dout he is the king. always out and about. stay close to his home most of the time but does cruise around the whole tank, i think just to let everyone know he is the boss. every red one have tried always stay real close to its hole and when it does come out darts back if anything moves to fast. even if i am just walking by. the purple i can not scare him back to his hole with out sticking my hand in the tank.

a little tip, the more overhanges, tunnels and ledges the more safe they will feel and thus come out to play more often.