Aquascaping

Brucey

TG ...... These are all wonderful wonderful tanks ..... and honestly, I am complete awe of them all, but I have a reservation. I carefully space my corals out to minimize the chemical warfare that the corals would undertake on each ohter. From my books it even suggests that different colonies of the same species can outbreak on each ohter. Just wondered what everyones views are on cramming as many corals as seems possible in a tank like this. I had a montipora bleech when an finger leather grew "Onto / near" it ..... which has made my very hesitent in placing corals any closer than 4-5 inches apart. Not saying my way is the right way because I really don't know what tolerences the corals have for each ohter in a confined emvironment. I do however run very heavy charcoal filtration to hopefully negate any chemicals from the water. Any thoughts ......
Brucey

tommyp

I run charcoal as well Brucey. Teri has a very mixed tank and only runs charcoal when she frags. I figure with my 65 there is not much dilution so I need to pull as much out as I can.

If you can't test for it is like black magic.

T

tankgirl

Hi Brucey!! Yeah! I've so often wondered about that! I think with acros, as long as they don't touch, they won't start a battle, but- What about growout room? You'd have to nip off frags pretty often, and with that kind of spacing, none of your corals could grow much without trouble. I admit, it looks great to see crowded acros, but I leave room for growth in my tank, and consequently, it doesn't look quite so lush and rich. Yeah, it's a burning question for me, too.

Hi Mark, Congrats on the new corals!! I'm seeing a lot of very colorful sps from Bali and Fiji in LFS's - hard to resist a coral binge! :D

Hey, Tom! Gorgeous 10L!!! Interesting about Teri only running charcoal when she frags. Skimmers will take out the slime of pissed off corals, but polishing the water with charcoal is probably a great tool. Is that our Teri (ReefLady)?

tommyp

Yeah that's our Teri! I have alot of leathers/softies from her and they seem to do fine in her tank with stoneys.

I wish that 20L was mine! I have a 20L sitting unused but don't want to pay anymore in power than I already am. My bill has been going up $20 a month for the past three and I can't figure it out. I have cut back on power to the tank but I think it is the heater running more and the circ pumps for the house. I am thinking when I go large that I will get an acrylic tank. In northen vermont I worry more about winter cold than I do over heating.

T

tankgirl

Hi Tom, yeah, that would throw me for a loop, too - the $20/mo every month. I'm lucky my husband pays the bills and I never even see them. That goes way back, cause he has a 10,000 gal koi pond - probably didn't want me to see the power and water bills cause I'd have a stroke. No matter how much energy/water my tank uses, it's a drop in the bucket compared to his hobbies. His other hobby is a big greenhouse full of orchids - it's all automated and he has his own RO/DI unit just for watering the orchids - so they don't get Ca deposits on the leaves!! No matter what I spend on corals, he thinks it's completely rational - :cool:
You're lucky - living in Vermont!!!

Thanks, Craigy!!

One of my favorite tanks; Mucho's! Here's a different angle on it.

CAT

I've seen some really great tanks but I think this one is kinda neat. It belongs to ldrhawke on R.C. It's a 45 gal Half drum.

Brucey

If I had Steve West's tank I'd have to invest in a new pair of swimming trunks and go swimming ......