Aquarium lighting

Partsman41953

Hi all,

I have a 28 gallon bow front saltwater aquarium with live rock, sand base, 2 clown fish, yellow wrasse, and a lawn mower blenny but no soft coral at this time. I am in the process of picking up a rock with pulsing xenia's on it from my son but the Nova Extreme light which I had on the tank died the other day and right now the only light I have on the tank is an old Coralife 2 bulb T5 light. I found in my closet an old 24" Jebo T8 single bulb fixture and was wondering if that would be any decent to add to the tank for the coral until I get a decent light.

Also, which light would you recommend for this tank. The depth of the tank is 19".

Thanks,

Glenn

Robzilla

Poor light is better than no light IMO. Slap it on there and upgrade as fast as your wallet will allow you.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd go with the 2-bulb T5 over anything T8 (1 or 2-bulb).

Don't really sweat it. I've grown Xenia in the Fuge under a curly que light.

badvegan

IT WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

J/K its not a jebo thread till someone says it though. I personally have not had many problems with any of their lights except the halides which are good after you replace the ballasts.

You should be good with the Coralife T5's as long as the bulbs were not used way too long if so i would add the jebo in there at the same time. How much light is the xenia used to? If it is a ton then i would have him step down the light using a diffuser or shade the xenia for a week or so if that is possible before moving it to your tank. I know that lots of people dont believe in stepping down corals anymore, but i have always believed it worked somewhat.

Partsman41953

Need some advice on aquarium lights

Hello,

I have done quite a lot of research trying to find an aquarium light for my 28 gallon aquarium with live rock, 2 clown fish, a yellow wrasse, and soon to add soft corals and have come across an AquaticLife 24" 4 bulb T5 light with moon lights and a built in timer for $249. and a JBJ Trinity 4 bulb T5 with moon lights and a 2 year warranty on the ballast for $224.00. Both have individual reflectors. Since I already have separate timers which I used with the Nova Extreme which I used to have I am not too concerned about the timers. I am just looking for a good quality light that is a reasonable price.

Which one of these would you go with or a different light which would work better for my tank. The aquarium is 19" deep.

Thanks,

Glenn

Uslanja

Re: Need some advice on aquarium lights

Hi Glenn! We have a 4 bulb 36" AquaticLife fixture on our 23 gallon nano. It is a very solid fixture and has worked flawlessly for us. We highly recommend AquaticLife lighting. Our nano is 12 inches deep and we get very intense lighting all the way to the substrate. In fact several small mushrooms have actually moved themselves out of the light and under a ledge. You will not go wrong with an AquaticLife fixture!

tkucifer

We have a 20 gal nano at work with twin T5s. The Xenia sp. are thriving (pulsing and pom pom)--and by thriving, I mean they grow like WEEDS. For those, you may well be fine with the T5s you already have and may not need much more light until you add other corals.