Aquarium Acrylic

reefguy

Building a custom sump again and want to do it with acrylic rather then glass. Anyone know where to get some acrylic? Or have any cool designs or ideas?

BLADEYAMAHA

There are clear and black pieces of acrylic and other forms of clear plastic type of sheets of clear or black material all over ebay, I can't remember how big they go up to, but I think they go up to 4 foot in length if I'm not mistaken. Any thickness too. There are suppliers on the internet as well, you just have to search and look.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Most Home Depot's and Lowes carry acrylic sheets in varying sizes up to 8'x4' up to 1/4" thick. You shouldnt need more than that for a sump unless you're building a 60+ Gal sump. If you build it more than 18" Deep front to back, you may need to install a cross brace or two to prevent bowing. Acrylic is quite easy to work with, just get some good Weld-on #16 for a nice tight seal. another shortcut to doing acrylic if you cannot find Weld-on that specifically says acrylic(NOT PVC) is to buy some strait up Acetone also available at lowes/home depot in the paint thinner section. Put 1/2 cup of acetone into a glass jar(make sure it has a tight lid with it) with some chips and or fragments of acrylic left over from your cut out. The acrylic will desolve into the acetone. Add a little bit of acrylic at a time, give it a couple hours to desolve and stir. When you get it thick as you want it, apply with a paint brush. Make sure construction takes place in a well ventelated are without sparks/ignition source, acetone is flameable. Once applied, the acetone will evaporate out, and what you will be left with is acrylic. The acetone in the mixture will also "melt" the edges of your panels slighlty, so when it dries(24+ Hours for full hardness) you are left with seals of pure acrylic

Note for those with arylic tanks. The above acetone+acrylic mixture works very very well at filling in deep gouges. It just req alot of sanding/polishing, but its imho better than having to alter the thickness of a 2' section of aquarium to sand/buff/polish out a deep gouge. Just make sure you use it while the aquarium is empty. While applying, the acetone in the mixture can weaken the pane enough that cracking can happen if the tank is full.

Badfish Reef

I would note that it is very risky using Home Depot/Lowes extruded acrylic for any type of pressure vessel. There is 2 types of acrylic, common extruded acrylic like found at HD/Lowes and then there is the higher quality cast acrylic which tanks are made out of. Cast acrylic is many time stronger and has a lower water absorption rate. You can use extruded material for internals i.e. baffles and such or for very small boxes but beyond that you are taking a huge risk with your tank and home.

DaveK

I would also suggest that power tools such as a table saw are highly recommended for constructing sumps. You need clean exact cuts for the glueing to work well.

Also price acrylic before you start. It can be very expensive. You may find that it's a lot less expensive to just buy an acrylic sump.

Sooty to barge in on your topic
But I have a friend that built my sump
If your interested. We're in the San Fransisco bayarea. If you know what you want and the dimensions. I friend can get it done. My sump took about 1.5 weeks with drying time and everything
Here's what he built for me
tutyny8y.jpg

Phixer

Depending on size shipping can be very costly. The only tanks I build nowdays are over 1000 g and well over 1" thick so I dont know if this will help you.

I have always used Polycast GP ordered from Port Plastics and Piedmont Plastics or Reynolds R cast from Reynolds Polymer. Piedmont/Regal in CO is great, I would recommend the CO branch as they have given me good pricing on multiple sheets.

For some reason their LV branch really sucks though and never does follow ups. I would not recommend the LV branch.

reefguy

Depending on size shipping can be very costly. The only tanks I build nowdays are over 1000 g and well over 1" thick so I dont know if this will help you.

I have always used Polycast GP ordered from Port Plastics and Piedmont Plastics or Reynolds R cast from Reynolds Polymer. Piedmont/Regal in CO is great, I would recommend the CO branch as they have given me good pricing on multiple sheets.

For some reason their LV branch really sucks though and never does follow ups. I would not recommend the LV branch.

I will look into it thanks.