Aquaray LED’s can they be used to replace the T5’s in the RSM130D?

I have a question regarding the Aquaray LED’s. Would be very interested in others opinions.

Do you think it would be possible to replace the T5’s with Aquarays and achieve equivalent lighting or better without any detrimental affect to the coral in your aquarium?

If the answer is yes to the above question what would be the best combination of led’s to achieve the best results. I’m also assuming that if I replaced the T5’s I would be able to loose the hood fans.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Bathtub

IMHO ... No, just not enough light.... I have them augmenting my main, but even 6 units up, I would be worried.
Also has anyone got a light spectrum analysis on them? I'd like to be doubly due they covered everything if they were my sole lighting....

Cheers Guys. Thanks for posting the links Terry.

I don't know enough about this subject to be the first person to do a mod that nobody else has done. Think I'll watch this space and wait and see what happens.

Steve, I know one person has converted to 4 aquarays and he is selling the tank on ebay at the moment. He has links to how he did it.

Bathtub

They are a doodle to fit... The ones in my front hood must have taken 1h max. To replace existing units I would think is a 30min job.
The controllers are really nice, dimming on separate channels, and the shimmer from the aqua rays is good- almost disco-esque with some ripples as well....

I wish I had your confidence. :)

If I were to fit the Aquaray I think I would have to fit it towards the back if you can. I don’t have a chiller and my front lid stays open during the summer months to ensure I don’t over heat.

I’ve pretty much decided not to replace my T5’s but would like to add an Aquaray strip at some point to boost the colours and add the shimmer affect to the water.

Really appreciate the feedback to the thread. I’ve managed to collect together some really useful information. If I were to carry out the mod I’ve got a couple of really helpful step by step accounts which are very well documented Cheers all.

Steve, if you look at my thread I posted a picture of where I fitted my TMC strip, the picture is poor as the lights were out, but you get the idea. It still has enough clearance from the water.

ZebbyD

Hi Steve

I am doing a mod to my RSM today to fit the aquaray in the same place as James. I'll try to get as many pictures as possible to help you out. I would highly recommend getting a reef blue. The effect it has on the tank is just amazing.

Bathtub

Fitting towards the back is a bit harder- as with the electronics in the hood, unless you do a major redesign you have to hang them underneath- and they are quite close to the water then- though it has been done (as james shows)...
In the front hood you can take the bottom off the hood and affix them to the top (oh marine putty I love you- on the mounting rails not the lights)- this gives them good clearance, but if you are lifting the hood that will just blind you !
tricky balancing act I fear

thomshap

I converted mine as we got fed up with the noise of the fans in the hood, I put one all white and one all blue where the existing T5s were - very quick and simple job, but insufficient (partly because they are tucked up inside the hood so not benefiting from the spread) so I put another all white in the flap which took a little longer and made a massive difference.

I did this about 8 months ago and the tank runs much cooler and looks better, I've not noticed any difference to my corals but I've not got anything that requires top lighting except for possibly my frogspawn.

Bathtub

Thomsap- interesting- when you say 1 white and 1 blue where the T5's were- do you mean 2 strips in total or 4 (i.e. 1 white and 1 blue per T5)- just trying to get a feel for the light level...