AquaPod FUN.....

daveat

i have heard of that, what it does is create an area for anaerobic bacteria to grow, which convert nitrAtes to nitrogen gas... you need a sandbed of 3-6" of depth and some creatures to sift the sand (sand sifting stars, nassarius snails, etc)

i have a shallow (1") sandbed in my 24gallon NC and have kept 0 ppm nitrates for the last two months (tanks been set up for 3)

allent17

Man, you took the original Powerhead out for the Maxijet but you put a powersweep in there! HAHA, thats like going backwards. That powersweep could be the thing driving your temps up. I tried one in a 20gal once and it pushed the temp up 4 degrees.

Stevenmi

Been awhile..here is some update:

I added a cpu fan (hole in side of cover)to the side of the cover, temp is steady at 77.5. Water quality is just about same as before except that the Nitrates are below 5 now.

Been running a 30" counter current skimmer from my old 55 for 2 days a week using a penguin 301 turned wayyyyy down.

Over the last 3 weeks I have added some friends:

Attachments

• Picture 091shrink.JPG
    Picture 091shrink.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Picture 093shrink.JPG
    Picture 093shrink.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture 094shrink.JPG
    Picture 094shrink.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture 088shrink.JPG
    Picture 088shrink.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 158

Stevenmi

and some more:

Attachments

• Pod 00shrink.jpg
    Pod 00shrink.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Pod 003shrink.JPG
    Pod 003shrink.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Pod 008shrink.JPG
    Pod 008shrink.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Pod 017shrink.JPG
    Pod 017shrink.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 152

Ganomish

Stevenmi said:
Been awhile..here is some update:

I added a cpu fan (hole in side of cover)to the side of the cover, temp is steady at 77.5. Water quality is just about same as before except that the Nitrates are below 5 now.

Been running a 30" counter current skimmer from my old 55 for 2 days a week using a penguin 301 turned wayyyyy down.

Over the last 3 weeks I have added some friends:

Hey Steve,
How about a pic of your fan mod, and the fan size.
I was considering the same since my evap is about zero.
My temp is good for now (75) , but I am worried with little air exchange that will change this summer.
Fred

Stevenmi

Sure thing....
The aquapod 12 has an additional 2 prong power lead for a second in hood fan. I used a .36 amp fan from a computer heat sink at first...down side it sounded like a jet engine, and the plug in is suppose to be for a .18 so I changed it out with one from radio shack..upside temps are staying low. I had wired it to a medusa 2 stage with a 12 volt plug but I think the controler unit is bad so I sent it back. The hood has the two plug-ins and what side you plug it into, using this method will determine when the fan runs. I have the ballast fan running whenever the atinics are on...and the "water surface fan" running whenever the dual daylight's are on.

I cut the hole in the plastic with tin snips after scribing the circle outline with the fan in place, and then attached with ss screws. Air is blowing in..

Sorry it took me so long to get back with ya...
ps...Evaporation has increased to about 3 cups a day!!

Steve

Attachments

• Easter 030.jpg
    Easter 030.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 150

Ganomish

Thanks for the pic.
I was thinking the same as you, only run the surface fan with my lights. That way the increased evap will counter-balance the heat from the lights. Lights go off, fan goes off. Stabilize temp.
I think I will definitely try this out for the summer.
Cheers.
Fred

Stevenmi

ok....I have a crab the size and likeness of very large very hairy spider. Very ugly about 2.5 inches across...I turned the lights on this morning and he slowly walked over to a hole in the largest rock in my tank.

So the question is....Do I try to bait/trap him, or remove the rock and get him?

Steve

Gina

RS STAFF
I would first try and trap him. Use a glass, tilted with a piece of shrimp. He goes into the glass but, can't come out.

KMP

steve,

thanks for the info on the cooling. i recently got a 24g Aquapod and am having problems with heat. i was looking at the iceprobe chiller last night. this fan setup is definately another option. i have to skim back through the post, but is that the only fan you added? only other mod is the pump?

Stevenmi

The pump exchange from the stock to a mj600
The Plenum - ZooMed power sweep (added heat, but actually very happy with the flow!) a combined 30x turnover but, its mostly behind the rocks as to keep anything from setteling. The flow is very random from through the rock work.

The cpu fan and I had to clip out every other vent fin in the hood....temps are holding at about 78.

Lights...I am driving (1)50/50 28w coralife bulb and the stock 27w dual atinic(420/460). Everyone seems very happy.

I am happy with the results running the skimmer 2 days a week as an add on until i figure out a way to pipe it and hook up a 30 gallon as a refuge. For now I have the cheato up in the corner and have watched it grow and trimmed it to half size just last week. I like the feel(color) it adds to the tank as well.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7971

Steve

Stevenmi

New pics...Enjoy everyone

Steve

Attachments

• alveozoa.JPG
    alveozoa.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 136
  • blastoandfriends.JPG
    blastoandfriends.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 139
  • neongrass.JPG
    neongrass.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 137
  • openbrain.JPG
    openbrain.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 138
  • palythoa_atlantica.JPG
    palythoa_atlantica.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 137

phil

KMP said:
steve,

thanks for the info on the cooling. i recently got a 24g Aquapod and am having problems with heat. i was looking at the iceprobe chiller last night. this fan setup is definately another option. i have to skim back through the post, but is that the only fan you added? only other mod is the pump?

I would be careful about the iceprobe chiller, I too have a 24 gal aquapod and checked into the iceprobe chiller to lower the temp. The only customer comment on them is he bought 2 of them put them in his sump and his temp rose overnight. I hear they are supposed to be coming out with a nano chiller I am waiting and hoping to see that or will be forced to get a 1/10 hp one thats another $400 (ka ching).
You have a great looking tank mine just finished cycling and only hope it comes close.