AquaPod FUN.....

Stevenmi

Hi, Just thought I would share with all you fine folks.
This tank has been up and running for about two weeks....

I replaced the "stock" pump that came with my Aquapod 12 DX with a Maxi-Jet 600 (Less power=less heat):LOL: and added a Zoo-Med Power Sweep 214 (160gph) to lifter tube (trying a DSB/W plenum...GARF style). 15 pounds of live sand and 14 pounds of cured live rock, removed the rings and balls.

Clipped out every other fin on the air intake/exit vents...this and the MJ600 dropped my temp 5 degrees (Thanks Current USA rep)!!....sigh....now its only at 83 after 10 hours of lights on.(75 Deg. Room temp)

Future plans:
-Additional fan/s
-Pipe an external Refuge (30 gallon wide).
-Skimmer
-I am using a Coralife Power Center for the (2) 27 watt Sunpaq cf's (Dual Atinic 420/460, Dual day(67k/10k) that came with it. I am thinking about replacing the dual day or both with the Smart Paq (10K daylight/460 nm actinic) bulbs or MH upgrade. Any thoughts?.

Not Gonna add anything.."WOULDENT BE PRUDENT AT THIS JUNCTURE" (Making bush hand signals)

Anyway...I will keep everyone posted on how this system works out.

Stevenmi

Full frontal:LOL:
And pic of the Power Sweep...

Steve

Attachments

• Aqua1.JPG
    Aqua1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 490
  • Sweep.JPG
    Sweep.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 486

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Very cool Stevenmi :thumbup:
I say get the MH upgrade !!! I saw the setup at one of my LFS' and it looks awesome.

Stevenmi

Added:
2 bumble bee's
2 turbos
1 red legged and one blue legged hermits (very small)

Tank really woke up this week with cridders, stuff running all over the place, but I hear some clicking...ugggg!

Red branching algae I think its Acrosorium uncinatum...but not sure, coming from like 47 little stubs in the rock.

Looking into a circus goby....saw one today at the lfs and might as them to hold it. Him and a future red headed psudo (anouther I am thinking about) would just about max this tank for fish I think.

Take care
Steve

Clownboy

If you decide to go with a light upgrade, I would go with the MH lighting.

I have the Auquapod 24G and I love it. I recently replaced my lighting with the Sunpod 20" 150W HQI MH lighting and it is now a different tank. I could never go back to the stock lighting after see what the MH can do.

By the way, very nice tank

Stevenmi

Thanks craig...I had almost talked myself into wanting to add fish to this tank. But after thinking about it...I may not add any, perhaps just zoos and shrooms.

Clownboy, Do you have a chiller? I had to do so much just to keep it cool with the 2 sunpaqs(54w total), I cant imagine doing the MH with with a closed top 12 gal without one. The problem I think is the air space between the lamp/ballast cover and the water(no air movement) unless you open the door.
While i am maintaining at 82-83, I still want to lower it. I have some computer heat sync fans...I may try to cut a hole in the side of the top and add one (12 volt/.18 amp) just to clear the surface air. Bet it improves my O2level...

Steve

Joe69

Nice aquascape so far Steve, I can hardly wait to see what corals you add and how it matures. I have a Nanocube with 48W of PC and wish I could add a MH lamp, but like you said the heat is terrific. I have a hard time keeping my nano below 82 as well. I can't imagine what the temp would be with MH's.

daveat

take it slow... they aren't that hard to keep stable just remeber your weekly water changes, daily topoffs and chem doses.... if your looking to upgrade check out nanocustoms.com and nanotuners.com

Clownboy

Stevenmi said:
Thanks craig...I had almost talked myself into wanting to add fish to this tank. But after thinking about it...I may not add any, perhaps just zoos and shrooms.

Clownboy, Do you have a chiller? I had to do so much just to keep it cool with the 2 sunpaqs(54w total), I cant imagine doing the MH with with a closed top 12 gal without one. The problem I think is the air space between the lamp/ballast cover and the water(no air movement) unless you open the door.
While i am maintaining at 82-83, I still want to lower it. I have some computer heat sync fans...I may try to cut a hole in the side of the top and add one (12 volt/.18 amp) just to clear the surface air. Bet it improves my O2level...

Steve

I was worried about the same thing when I upgraded. This what I was told to do and it worked out great. You remove your top w/lights. Your MH lights sit 4 - 6 inches off the water. You buy a sheet of Egg crate and cut it to fit in the top of your tank (very easy to do, only took me 10 min.), so your fish dont jump out. This also allows for better oxygen exchange and evaporation.

Before I upgraded my lights my temp was between 80 and 82 degress and now it is between 79 and 81 degrees, and I was so worried about heat. I do have to add about two - three cups of water (walmart RO/DI water for .37 cents a gallon) at the end of the day. Which helps the water quality. I do a 20% water change every two weeks.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 2.5 (Very good for this size of a tank)
Calcium - 440
Alk - Normal
PH - 8.2

These lights were worth every penny. My wife was upset that I bought them and the other day she told me that it was worth it.

I hope this helps

Clownboy

Stevenmi said:
So you Detached the top lid from the tank?....hmmmm...tell me more...

Steve

Yes, the lid comes off very easy. I removed mine in less than a minute. The lid just pop out. I took a small screw driver and lifted up on the hindge a little bit and pop the top out on one side and then the other. My wife help me and it took no more than a minute. It was easier than what I was expecting.

Clownboy

I scared to make the change at first because I did not know how much work it was going to be and I was worried about heat.

It was nothing, I couldnt believe how easy it was.

The lights look great and now when I go the LFS I can now look at all the corals and know that there is nothing I cant put in my tank. I am looking at a clam now.

When they tell you that MH lighting is better they are right, I used to thank that they were just full of it and that my light was fine for what I wanted but now I believe that they were right. My kenya tree is growing and my zoos look great! My BTA looks better as well.

Last edited:

Craig Manoukian

Clownboy said:
there is nothing I cant put in my tank. I am looking a clam now.

As with all systems there is a limit to the livestock that can be kept in a confined space. It is relatively easy to overstock a 24 gallon. Be sure to have a plan B with your clam as they can become quite large, eh?

Stevenmi

Everything going great....However, I have been thinking about making some changes before I add any creatures...I think its refuge time. I am questioning my choice to set up a plenum in the pod as opposed to in an external refuge(empty 30 wide I have sitting next to it). The method I am trying envolves pulling off the power head and capping the plenum to create a oxygen-void for Nitrate conversion. Anyone else here ever try this method? with a 12 gal or small tank?

Current readings:
pH - 8.3
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 17 ppm
Specific Gravity - 1.026
Temperature - 82 F <---still too warm for me

Steve