Aquadude's 65g is up and running!!!! Aquadude's 65g is up and running!!

Aquadude

Aquadude's 65g is up and running!!!!

I've been waiting for weeks to get my 65g tank going. I ordered a package from a LFS and it took a little longer than expected because their vendor had to build my stand. I wanted a stand that was taller than the ones that they had available. I've had FO tanks in the past but I never tried maintaining a reef tank. I'm looking forward to the challenge. I've learned a lot from this forum already and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot more. Here are a few details about my setup.

Eshopps RS 100 sump
Eshopps PSK150 protein skimmer
Radion g3 with wide angle lens
Ecotech MP10 (need to buy one more)
Aquamaxx Bio-pellet reactor
Tunze ATO
Cobalt 200w heater

Here are a few pics.

Snid

Nice work, Matey!

One tip of advice. Looks like an ATO system on the right of your sump in a cut out water container? If that's the type of container that water comes in prepackaged at stores, be careful. Some of those plastics are weak and actually slowly corrode over a short time period. You might wake up one morning to a big puddle of water on your floor and no ATO water in the container. Seems strange, I know, but speaking from experience at my work.

reefer gladness

Looks like you're off to a great start.

FWIW I was never comfortable with power strips and controller bits in the sump compartment. Best case scenario it's a corrosive salt-water environment that will cause everything metal to rust quickly. Worse case scenario if we get a decent earthquake and the tank cracks all that saltwater drips down to where the power strips are located.

My solution was a separate cabinet, there's also room in the drawer above for test kits, refractometer, etc.:
DSCN0265.jpg

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I like the rock.
Just a thought. On the right end, where you have the rock against the or so close to the glass. I used to do that too, but not I try to leave enough space to clean the glass.

Aquadude

Nice work, Matey!

One tip of advice. Looks like an ATO system on the right of your sump in a cut out water container? If that's the type of container that water comes in prepackaged at stores, be careful. Some of those plastics are weak and actually slowly corrode over a short time period. You might wake up one morning to a big puddle of water on your floor and no ATO water in the container. Seems strange, I know, but speaking from experience at my work.

Thanks for the tip. The ATO container is one of the plastic jugs that LFS sale to transport water. I would like to have a nice acrylic box made to hold the water.

Aquadude

Looks like you're off to a great start.

FWIW I was never comfortable with power strips and controller bits in the sump compartment. Best case scenario it's a corrosive salt-water environment that will cause everything metal to rust quickly. Worse case scenario if we get a decent earthquake and the tank cracks all that saltwater drips down to where the power strips are located.

My solution was a separate cabinet, there's also room in the drawer above for test kits, refractometer, etc.:
DSCN0265.jpg

Thanks for sharing that advice and the photo. I've been thinking about trying to create something to protect the power strips and plugs.

scott7975

Nice tank. I just bought the same one. At least it looks the same as yours. Do you find the one light is enough or do you plan to add another at some point. I have been contemplating lighting because they are so expensive. I would hate to have to buy two of them, but if I have to I will. I also have the same sump. Do you keep your heater in the sump and if so, does it heat the tank well enough?

What return pump did you use? I am still not sure which one I am going to get but I am leaning towards a mag drive 7. I think that will be enough of a pump.

Aquadude

Scott one Radion is enough as long as you have the wide angle lenses on the light. I emailed Ecotech about it before I purchased it. They stated that as long as the light is eight inches off the water I should be ok. I recently added some LPS pieces from some club members and they seem to be doing great under one light.
I do keep my heater in the sump. I haven't really been using it because my challenge has been getting the temp down. I added a fan and that has helped a lot. I did plug it in for the first time today because my mother in law is visiting and she lowered the temperature upstairs.

I'm using a Waveline DC 6000 return pump. Initially I had a pump that was too noisy. The DC 6000 is extremely quiet. Once I added it I started hearing noise from other things that I didn't notice before. I'll be uploading more pics tonight.

Aquadude

Pre- Cleanup Crew . The clowns were brought over by a friend. They've been doing well.

Post Cleanup Crew. That area was covered in green and brown algae but its clean now

New toys: I purchased a 2nd MP10 and the battery backup unit

New under tank shot . I know that I need to try to get everything from under there.

Full photo of the stand, tank and canopy. The stand is 38 inches tall

Here are some of the critters that I've found along the way

Flat Worm

fan worm

Hydroid Jelly fish

StirCrayzy

Good job using the height available for that scape dude!
As a fellow 65 owner I can vouch for the lack of space in cabinet. But since you have some extra height, why not put a shelf for a small 5g tank to set on for ATO reservoir.

Where are the two valves sticking down coming from?
What overflow are you using? Rear view of tank would be fun to see. ;)

Aquadude

Good job using the height available for that scape dude!
As a fellow 65 owner I can vouch for the lack of space in cabinet. But since you have some extra height, why not put a shelf for a small 5g tank to set on for ATO reservoir.

Where are the two valves sticking down coming from?
What overflow are you using? Rear view of tank would be fun to see. ;)

Thanks Stircrazy. I'm thinking about adding a little more rocks against the back for more room for corals. I have changed the scape on the right so that I have more space between the rock on glass. I have a 5G ATO container next to the sump. I would like to have a better ATO container made. I guess having one on a shelf would give me that space back so that I could put other stuff there. The problem is the skimmer height. I would need a shorter skimmer to get enough space for a useful shelf. The overflow is a built in one. The tank is the Deep Blue 65g reef ready tank. I attached some photos of the overflow and the area that you asked about where the valves are

The valve on the right controls the flow to my bio-pellet reactor. I can increase, reduce or stop the flow to it with that valve. The reactor is an aquamaxx biomaxx reactor. The black line on the right of the valve is the return .

overflow

scott7975

Thanks for the responses Aquadude. I look forward to your continual journal!

Also... a 5g tank is relatively small. It would probably fit where you jug is now.

Aquadude

Blackbeltmom the purple frogspawn is doing great. I believe the Zoas are doing fine as well. They open up when the lights come on and close when the lights go off. They start to droop over their stem a little as the day goes on. I'm not sure if that means they are getting too much light. My Radion is in acclimation mode so I don't think they would be receiving too much light. I also picked up a few pieces from Nathan since he is shutting down his beautiful tank.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
The Zoas were really open in my tank, where do you have them?

Blackbeltmom the purple frogspawn is doing great. I believe the Zoas are doing fine as well. They open up when the lights come on and close when the lights go off. They start to droop over their stem a little as the day goes on. I'm not sure if that means they are getting too much light. My Radion is in acclimation mode so I don't think they would be receiving too much light. I also picked up a few pieces from Nathan since he is shutting down his beautiful tank.