Aquacontroller jr

qsligh

Does anyone out there own/operate a Aquacontroller jr? I've just purchashed one and all is great, but can't get the programming right to produce a wavemaker eviroment for my tank. Any help with this product will be greatly appreciated!!:help:

Cavinca

what kind of issue are you having?

If you just want code here is an example:

OSC 20/20 ON/OFF Then PM1% ON
OSC 20/20 ON/OFF Then PM2% OFF

OSC = oscillate
You can also use RND for Random intervals.

The 20/20 is the time in between a state shift... 20 minutes "X happens" 20 "Opposite of X Happens"...

PM1% is the Name for Pump One.
PM2% is pump two.

These names can be changed.

The ON or Off after the names of the Pumps is the initial state of the pump.

PM1% is On.
PM2% is Off.

After 20 Minutes ie. 20/20 Pump one and Two will Switch states.

This Code:
OSC 20/20 ON/OFF Then PM1% ON
OSC 20/20 ON/OFF Then PM2% OFF

Starts with pump 1 on and pump 2 Off, and in 20 minutes cuts pump 1 off and pump 2 on.

If your confused you can give me a better idea of what you want and i can give you the correct code.

I wanted to get some sort of controller for my tank, but figured I wouldn't be able to set it up. After Cavinca answer, I think I was right, lol.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly once you get the "basics" down it's really simple. Don't let the "Coding" scare you off. It's WELL worth the few minutes it takes.

If you had the controller in front of you everything typed up there really would make a lot of sense. :)

BigJay

it takes about 15 minutes to get it, at least for me. Once you get the hang of it , its super fast and easy. I couldn't live without my aquacontroller.

phirak

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I got aquacontroller 2 (older version without power strip) for about 2 months now and still can't figure how to set it up or more like too scare to mess it up! Do you know where I can find instruction how to set it up?

DaveK

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I got aquacontroller 2 (older version without power strip) for about 2 months now and still can't figure how to set it up or more like too scare to mess it up! Do you know where I can find instruction how to set it up?

The best way is to set up the interface between the Aquacontroller 2 and your computer. Then set it up via the computer using the Aquanotes software. You can't do everything via the computer, but it makes life a lot easier. It is possible to program everything via the controller itself, but that is a long tedious process.

You can download the AC 2 owners manual here - (offsite, adobe reader required to view) - http://www.neptunesys.com/~clp/images/downloads/AquaController2.pdf

You can download Aquanotes software here - (offsite) - Neptune Systems - AquaControllers - Products

You will also need a "PC Serial Cable" to connect the AC 2 to you computer. This requires the use of a serial port on the computer. A "Ground Isolated Serial Connector" is highly recommended, to electrically isolate the AC 2 from the computer. If this is not done, pH and ORP readings tend to be off.

Cavinca

I wanted to get some sort of controller for my tank, but figured I wouldn't be able to set it up. After Cavinca answer, I think I was right, lol.

Sorry geaux. Did not mean to scare you. The coding is nothing really. The controller we were talking about contains all the little commands and coding variables in an easy to use interface.

Its as easy as selecting the plug you want to control. Picking what you want that plug to do. And selecting the time or temp or a couple of other variable that control the plug.

The controller prompts you for every bit of info that it needs to work. Reading the instruction manual is quick and mostly easy to understand. This helps make sense of all those hard to understand terms i stated ^ there.

When i recieved my "Surge Protector" (not called that but looks like one...) and controller it was setup in an easy to understand way. My "Surge Protector" was labeled plug by plug with A1, A2, A3, A4 and so on. My first program was one for a heater. looked kind of like this. No typing was done on my part everything was contained in the menus of the controller.

A1 temp < 75 On
A1 temp > 78 Off

A1 is the spot where my heater was plugged into the "Surge Protector"

Temp was selected from the next menu for temperature control.

< and > were selected from the next menu which mean Less than and Greater than. You know from math class way back when. :)

75 and 78 were my temperatures i wanted the heater to turn off and on.

In short, its not as difficult as i made it sound. I am Sorry. If anything you could always ask for what code needs to be inputed to get the result you want. The rewards of automated tank functions in a small single package, far outweigh the negatives.

BigJay

btw the first thing I would do is rename all the outlets to something thats more familiar to you. like my koralia is named kor,my maxijet is max and my skimmer is skm, etc. To me it just makes it easier for me to identify what I'm doing and when it comes time to shut off one componenent for maintenence I don't have to guess which pump was pump 1 (pm1) or pump 2 (pm2).

qsligh

Finally got back online! Hey you guys, thanks for all the assistance. I got the controller software and followed the fore mentioned instructions and "BAM" , it works! I will tell you that iti is much simpler with the software. You can find it cheaper than listed on the controller's website. At any rate, I've crossed that hurtle. I am sure there will be more to come.....

i am wanting one for my 180 does anyone have reccomendations on which one i should do. i am doing a softie , lps , and leather tank. would like to do a sps but im not that advanced yet. stick to lps thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It really depends on what you want it to do and how much you're willing to pay.

Neptunes APEX looks to be a very nice system.

Cavinca

It really depends on what you want it to do and how much you're willing to pay.

Neptunes APEX looks to be a very nice system.

Ditto. These aquacontrollers are pretty nice for the money as well.

Of course you could always run to radio shack pick up some parts and build one :)

You can go to Raido Shack and buy the stuff to build one? I didn't know that. Maybe you could post something and tell us how to do this. I would think alot of us would be interested in that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You can go to Raido Shack and buy the stuff to build one? I didn't know that. Maybe you could post something and tell us how to do this. I would think alot of us would be interested in that.

I'm afraid it's going to be a lot more in-depth than what could be easily posted here on the thread.

Cavinca

lol. yeah it would be. that was more of joke. for starters i dont think radio shack carries any controller boards worth a try. :)

I actually pieced a kit together. Not cost effective at all.