Should I buy it

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhilippeReef

I have a MAX C-250 and I am thinking adding the chiller Aqua Euro USA Max Chill 1/10 HP.
Any particular recommendation, I read that the stock pump might not be enough, any truth to that.

I will store it underneath the tank in the manufacturer standard cabinet that came with tank.

I am just trying to keep water between 76 and 78 but on warmer days it goes to 81 + easy so I am afraid summer will be a big issue.

ziggy

I have a MAX C-250 and I am thinking adding the chiller Aqua Euro USA Max Chill 1/10 HP.
Any particular recommendation, I read that the stock pump might not be enough, any truth to that.

I will store it underneath the tank in the manufacturer standard cabinet that came with tank.

I am just trying to keep water between 76 and 78 but on warmer days it goes to 81 + easy so I am afraid summer will be a big issue.
I think 1/10 may be too small. Also if a small unit is installed, and it runs all the time, it will not last as long. I get a sense most C250 reefers typically get 1/4.

ziggy

I think 1/10 may be too small. Also if a small unit is installed, and it runs all the time, it will not last as long. I get a sense most C250 reefers typically get 1/4.
.....also I should have mentioned...... with a reef it's not the value of the tank temperature that is very important as much as it's the variation in the tank temperature that is very important. A swing of 4 to 5 degrees repeatedly is a much bigger concern for me. Ideally your reef wants to be about 1 degree variation if at all possible.

DaveK

I don't think you should get a chiller at this time. Your tank is only 2 or 3 degrees warmer than the ideal temp of about 78.

Try everything else first. If those methods work, then you save a lot of money. Consider changing the lighting to LEDs. Increase circulation, especially across the water surface surface. Considr a fan across the water surface. You'll likely need an ATO if you do that, It's east to evaporate a lot of water from a reef system.

Trinny

I have a 1/10 HP Hailea which is smaller than I wanted but they LFS didn't have stock of the larger and I didn't want to run my tank 4-5 degrees higher. My tank is stock and it runs warm so keeping it within a degree tolerance shouldn't be different (from what I gather) if I had a bigger chiller. A bigger chiller might cool my tank quicker from 26 to 25 degrees but it's not going to keep my tank from running warm and wanting to run at 28 degrees.

Danreef

I had for 1 summer a JBJ 1/10 and didn't have any problem to keep temp at ~78 . One day I left it off by accident and the tank, 4 hours later, was at 84. I realized because all corals where starting to close.

But !!! ..... because I have too much invested in my tank (time, money and feelings) I decided not to risk. So the following summer I got the 1/4 JBJ and have the 1/10 as backup.

Take a look to the tank size your chiller is rated for. NOT ALL The 1/10 chillers are rated for the same tank size.

Another important point: NOISE

I have a chiller (is a popular brand but cant remember now ) in a 14 G tank and makes a lot of noise. You can hear it around the house.

The JBJ chillers I have you do not hear them. You have to open the door of the cabinet and put your ear nearby it. I have attached a small piece of toilet paper in the back that the chiller blows when is working (fans are in the chiller's back). I look that paper when I want to know if it is working. Standing beside the tank is impossible to know if it works or not.

I hope this helps.

Daniel

PS: Sorry, but I regret to tell you that the NOISY chiller I have in my 14 G tank is an Aqua Euro USA 1/13 .

Last edited:

pablomay28

I had the Aquaeuro Apex 1/4 hp chiller in mine. Good thing is that now I am running it in my RSR 450. The 1/10 is to small it would take way to long to cool down your tank.