anyone heard of blue star polyps?

Wolfgang8810

my local fish store had a huge colony of them $80 for the rock. they look like normal GSP but they are blue and really tiny. anyways they were in theit coral tank for a while and they started to spread to the substrate. i asked if the would give me a scoop of them for 5 bucks and they said ok! i got home and sifted through the container of gravel and found a few good polyps (these things are tiny!) and glued the substrate they were attached to to a shell for now. they have already multiplied in the 3 days ive had them. im counting 5 more now.

ok picture time. the first picture is a picture of the BSP in question and the second is a picture of something that followed me home on the same day unfortunately since then ive been missing 30 dollars think it was worth it?

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

bigbratt

they are blue clove polyps...I have some, I was told that they were slow growing but I am finding that's not true...I started with one small area on a small rock and now it's overtaken the whole rock and has also spread to a much bigger rock, I have them high in my tank with 2-250mh and they seem to love it there. They look cool once they start to fill in.

Easter2008021.jpg

Wolfgang8810

they are blue clove polyps...I have some, I was told that they were slow growing but I am finding that's not true...I started with one small area on a small rock and now it's overtaken the whole rock and has also spread to a much bigger rock, I have them high in my tank with 2-250mh and they seem to love it there. They look cool once they start to fill in.

Easter2008021.jpg
YUP! thats them. I will make sure they they are isolated since i only have a 24 gallon tank i cant afford to waste space. i have a 150 watt MH over them and they seem to like it. what about the zoos? think they were worth 30 bucks?

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
They are the blue snowflake polyps....Me and Beezlebob were about the first on here...I had picked up a nice sized colony for $26. In the following weeks(5-6) they were consumed by a evil encrusting sponge/tunicate. And they were banished from my tank. FAST FORWARD to a few months later, I HAVE not one but TWO small snowflake colonies growing in seperate parts of my tank. I now have 2 small colonies one with 30+ polyps, the other really small at 15+ polyps

**Anybody remember my thread? we couldnt figure out what they were...until somebody said those...and we got it?**

BEELZEBOB

I'd also pay 30 for that colony.

youll need luck finding another one for that much.

1 sq inch can fetch anywhere between 45-65 bucks on line.

unless you get lucky like the tippman did and go to an LFS that dont know the demand and rarity of this species.

i have a big colony that i got for $80.

day after i posted pics, some dude on RC offered me 2 bills for the colony:shades:

yea, they're mine mofo

Coralreef

They are eagle eyes and that colony is worth about $50 to $65 but can be had for less. I can buy them for a buck a polyp so you didn't overpay.

Could the blue star polyps also be Blue Waving Hand Anthillia? I have some that look like that and that's what mine were called. Unfortunately I'm bringing mine back to the LFS as they just don't seem to be surviving in my tank for some reason (all of my other corals are thriving) but everything I've read on them says their care level is "difficult" so I guess it just wasn't meant to be :(.

lcstorc

I have the blue cloves as well.
They seem to do great in my 90g with T5 lighting. They are towards the top but have tolerated several removals from the tank to remove the HA that is growing on the same rock.

Wolfgang8810

Could the blue star polyps also be Blue Waving Hand Anthillia? I have some that look like that and that's what mine were called. Unfortunately I'm bringing mine back to the LFS as they just don't seem to be surviving in my tank for some reason (all of my other corals are thriving) but everything I've read on them says their care level is "difficult" so I guess it just wasn't meant to be :(.
Im not sure thats what these are. I bought a scoop of gravel that they had spread to in the LFS reef system and had about 5 total polyps and now 3 weeks later the whole shell is covered. ill take a picture later to night so stay tuned :)

lcstorc

Mine doesn't look like anthellia. They look more like cloves. I'll try to get a pic in the morning when the lights are back on.

Wolfgang8810

here is a picture i took of them 2 weeks ago
DSC_0381.jpg

and here is a picture of them today

DSC_0610.jpg

these things are growing like mad in my tank! Who wants a free frag??