Anybody use RO for drinking?

Hornet

I think I already know the answer to this but wtf I'll ask anyway

I currently have a water cooler in my house that we use for drinking water. I get a delivery from Deer Park once a month that usually costs me around $25.

I know some people say all water tastes the same but I can't stand the water out of the faucet. I'm wondering if I'll be able to cut my deer park expense and just start re-filling 5 gal jugs myself for the cooler. Do all RO/DI systems have a place where I can fill some jugs without taking the whole thing apart to bypass the DI stage?

mps9506

I use RO water for drinking. I used to live in Newport News, I know how bad the water tastes :)
And surprisingly down here it is even worse. If I leave a bucket of water out to evaporate it will leave all kinds of red and white stains.
I think you can purchase a bypass valve that installs between your RO and DI filters and fill up a pressured tank that can install next to your faucet.

Octoman

I drink the RO, it makes great coffee and tea too!

It would be simple to install a permanent valve between your RO and DI so you can fill jugs with RO.

My system also has a pressurized 3 gallon tank and a faucet on the sink for RO.

Hornet

Thanks Guys,

The pressurize tank thing sounds nice but I own the water cooler and I'm kind of used to it. I like being able to get hot water for tea or oatmeal and the kids seem to drink more water since I got the cooler.

My tank budget for my slow build is already depressing to look at. So if I can say I'm really saving money by buying this now it makes me feel a little better.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
I drink it and do as listed, with coffee and tea, MMMMM....beats tap water, and also thats all our cats get is R/O

nikkipigtails

Those are some pampered cats! We drink RO water...it tastes like Evian to me and it beats paying $4/liter for it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've read where some dentists are advising that children drink tap/municipal water for the fluoride that's in it. I can't really "Weigh In" on that because I have no kids, am not a dentist and don't have any background in it other than I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lol:

nikkipigtails

Daniel: I have cats too...my Mr. Man and I snuggle in secret. I think Tommy would get jealous if he really knew how much I snuggled another male.

Al: If you drink too much flouride, it deposits on your teeth so it looks like you've got white splotches on them. My dentist recommends brushing and rinsing with a flouride toothpaste/mouth rinse. There have been some studies that have shown that babies who drink water with flouride, either by itself or mixed with formula, have flouride deposits on their baby teeth when they errupt. I just stick with the toothpaste and mouthwash and Livi sticks with boob milk.

CATALYST

Water out of the tap is for washing dishes and flushing toilets. Living creatures in our house only get RO. SoCal water is nasty. My TDS meter always reads around 500.

Hornet

I've read where some dentists are advising that children drink tap/municipal water for the fluoride that's in it. I can't really "Weigh In" on that because I have no kids, am not a dentist and don't have any background in it other than I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lol:

:D

You are right, I have heard the same things but I can tell the kids to drink water all day long but they'll usually reach for something else. I still and will continue to make iced tea and kool-aid with the tap water so I guess flouride from that will suffice.

If it was not for me having the water-cooler in the house I'm sure they would drink even less water. We all like the convenience of grabbing a paper cup and getting a quick drink of water.

Hornet

Al: If you drink too much flouride, it deposits on your teeth so it looks like you've got white splotches on them. My dentist recommends brushing and rinsing with a flouride toothpaste/mouth rinse. There have been some studies that have shown that babies who drink water with flouride, either by itself or mixed with formula, have flouride deposits on their baby teeth when they errupt. I just stick with the toothpaste and mouthwash and Livi sticks with boob milk.

Did not see your post before my last one. And it reminds me of when I heard somebody say "If you don't like what one study says wait a while... somebody is working on another study to contradict it".

Probably truth in both studies, I suppose an excess of anything even if it's good for you will eventually be bad.

"You can make 90% of statistics say anything you want... 50% of the time" LOL

nikkipigtails

Probably truth in both studies, I suppose an excess of anything even if it's good for you will eventually be bad.

Yeah, I'm not saying that flouride is bad, it's a good thing, but in excess it causes white deposits on your teeth. Just not aestheticly pleasing IMO.

fatman

RO water should provide absolutely no taste as it is almost pure. It is the impurities that impart the taste to water. The national water works people suggest that a mixer be installed with a RO water filter to supply a approximately 5 to 15 percent treated tap water with RO water for drinking. I have found that espresso foam is generated a lot more with mixed water than with straight RO water. I also found that RO water does nothing to quench my thirst, where as there are enough salts in mixed water to quench my thirst. I would just try some taste tests and see what suits you and go with that. For me. it is a short burst of tap water followed by filling my glass with RO water. I will not make coffee with straight RO water any more, as mixed works much better, for me anyway. MY local espresso shops use mixers on their machines water supply.

Hornet

Yeah, I'm not saying that flouride is bad, it's a good thing, but in excess it causes white deposits on your teeth. Just not aestheticly pleasing IMO.

Nor was I saying it's bad. Plus I agree the white deposits do look weird.

I'm not a big fan of purified bottled water so I guess I'll just have to try RO out when I buy an RO/DI. I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night so I don't know if purified and RO are one and the same. The stuff I have delivered is Spring water and that tastes great.

fatman

I'm not a big fan of purified bottled water so I guess I'll just have to try RO out when I buy an RO/DI. I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night so I don't know if purified and RO are one and the same. The stuff I have delivered is Spring water and that tastes great.

Municipal tap water is purified. Purified (in the water treatment lingo) is just bringing water to some hypothetical level of quality. Which for most water treatment facilities means removing solid particles and adding a disinfectant and no more, so tap water is purified water. Potable water is the same without the disinfectatant such as chlorine. RO water has nearly ever substance but hydrogen and oxygen (water) removed through filration (straining the water) through a membrane that is nearly impervious, and DI filtration takes and exchanges the remaining few impurities and exchanges them for less harmful elements such as sodium.

nikkipigtails

Personally, I can taste stuff in every kind of bottled water I've ever drank, purified or spring. The only one I can't taste anything in is Evian. RO/DI water tastes like Evian to me. I can't taste anything it...I LOVE it!

santarem85

too expensive? I am looking in to getting a unit for myself soon. I have heard that filterdirect is a good place to get them from...any input?