anybody know any colleges for marine biology?

Anselth

I got my degrees (Marine environmental Science and Biology) from Salisbury University through a dual degree program with University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Good program, not a true Marine Bio degree, but close and very flexible. recieved two BS degrees in four years.

Octoman

That's cool Anselth! UMES is one of our companion LMRCSC (Living Marine Resources Cooperative Science Center) schools. LMRCSC is a NOAA program, they're the ones helping me get through school.

Anselth

Very cool. I'm trying to crack into NOAA when my stint here ends. It's tough finding Marine Biology jobs :). Of course, I'm probably just not looking in the right places. :)

kathywithbirds

There's a quite "undiscovered" little gem of a college for marine sciences in NJ near the Edward Forsythe wildlife refuge, the Richard Stockton College of NJ.

The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey

I've applied but I don't think I'm going this year, too many variables with the husband's relocation issues. I am starting some bio courses in the spring though, community college, basics always transfer pretty easy. I'm interested in the marine stuff too but I've always been into animals so it just makes sense to start out with the elementary bio stuff and explore different fields.

lcstorc

IF you've got the money then go for it. Living there is major expensive since almost everything has to be imported.

kathywithbirds

I would LOVE to go to Hawaii for a tour with Mike... but I'm against it as the animal cannot come. They were really tough on livestock to begin with but now they're ridiculous. Most animal face a 6 month quarantine, and I can't bring the birds at all.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
RSMAS, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami would be my choice. UNC Wilmington and Florida Institute of Technology Marine Biology and also Texas A&M, Galveston.

mps9506

Very cool. I'm trying to crack into NOAA when my stint here ends. It's tough finding Marine Biology jobs :). Of course, I'm probably just not looking in the right places. :)
Reviving an old thread :D
A lot about who you know in addition to what research projects you take part in while in school. Even then not easy once you finish up.
I'm finally headed back to UNC-Wilmington in the fall after graduating in 03... Hope I can handle it.
And to the OP, I have a few friends that attended Florida Institute of Tech (FIT) I kinda wish I went to school there. I like the way their program sounds. I think it would have suited me well to go there.
The Marine Bio program where I went at UNC-W is great also, but you better have your head on straight when you enter the program, I've seen quite a few people crash and burn in that program.

My brother graduated from the University of South Alabama with his B.S. in marine biology and his masters in marine fisheries. The USA masters students do the majority of their work from Dauphin Island, Alabama...a barrier island at the mouth of the Mobile Bay. Dauphin Island is about 40 minutes from Mobile.

God bless,
Disciple

lowfi

Well if you like fish so much...why not shoot for a degree in fisheries biology?!? That's what I'm working for right now..a BS in marine fisheries. Pretty awesome huh!? I am going to school in Northern California at Humboldt State University. All of my classes focus around fish, very unique and very specified. So if you love fish, then you'll probably love the program. I have taken classes in marine fish ecology, mariculture, fish management, fish physiology, fishery techniques, fish genetics, etc., etc.... If you think it sounds cool, shoot me a PM and I can talk to you about it more.

Humboldt State University

check out the fisheries site ---> Department of Fisheries Biology | Programs