anybody know any colleges for marine biology?

jubbers

yea, who said you have to be a trillionaire? you shouldwork to live and be happy!money doesn't buy you happiness? you have one life live however the hell you want.

Octoman

Gratuitous picture of us hard at work on one of the research cruises (that's my ugly mug on the left with the hat...)

mark.jpg

Octoman

I get funded to work on my research and degree and they pay me enough to get by. Not so bad of a deal...

reefjitsu

why did my link say you made?$200,500?

I have no idea where they got that from, but it is totally untrue.

Also, I am not trying to dissuade you, just giving you the real deal. Alot of people get into biology programs only to find out it is not what they expected. Actually, a great deal of people end up changing their majors. I just want you to be prepared for the life you are pursuing. It cannot be stressed enough that it is a very demanding career, not for the faint of heart.

Octoman

Marine science gets into more of the geology, physics, chemistry, and biology of the ocean rather than just biology.

Money doesn't matter if you love what you do.

tbittner

I equate the $200,500 to my field, computer science.

I personally know people, all with equivilant degrees, and their pay ranges from $45,000 up to $800,000. It really depends on how GOOD you are, how HARD you work, and how much you LOVE it. :)

reefjitsu

i'm more interested in the biology.

You may be a good candidate then.

on the side i could start a coral propagation chain.

A very doable idea. I myself supplement my income through animal and plant husbandry. Mostly reptiles and bugs, but I am moving towards coral propagation too. I am hoping to eventually make a living wage with my reptiles. Either that, or I may go into another low paying but noble profession- teaching.

reefjitsu

What salaries can I expect in the work place?

Salaries are very variable in biology because there are so many different career choices, with each demanding different degrees of prior educational experience and professional skills. The highest paid biologists tend to be medical doctors with initial starting salaries of $50,000 or more in the first year after residency. At the other end of the scale, a B.S. student straight out of UD could go into a job and be paid between $20,000 and $30,000 during the first year. In general, it is true that the more education you get, the higher the salary. This is why so many B.S. students go on and take a masters degree (M.S.) or a doctor of philosophy degree (Ph.D.) in biology or some particular field in biology. By earning these degrees, it is possible to earn much more money, even though you would join the work-force much later than someone with a B.S. However, remember that salaries are just one aspect of a job. There are other traits equally important as salary, such as freedom to make your own decisions, the amount of vacation time, and fringe benefits. Again, in general those people with higher degrees fair better in the long-run.
That is from the following link
Home Page - University of Dayton Biology Department

A couple of links on the $
Salary of a Biologist

Wildlife Biologist Salaries - Free Salary Search