Anybody got a clue?

panmanmatt

This guy came in on one of my blasto colonies. Anybody got a clue what it is?

It looks to be either a polyp or anenome of some sort. It is about the size of a quarter when opened.

purplerhodactis003.jpg

purplerhodactis002.jpg

purplerhodactis001.jpg

BEELZEBOB

thats a dendro. holy crap you lucky dog.

thats like a sunpolyp on steroids. look up dendrophyllia (try spelling it right first)

BEELZEBOB

here, its gotta be one of these different genus in this family including Eguchsammia, Balanophyllia, and Dendrophyllia.

panmanmatt

thats a dendro. holy crap you lucky dog.

thats like a sunpolyp on steroids. look up dendrophyllia (try spelling it right first)

I have dendros already and they have a hard skeleton and are orange. This thing has no skeleton that I can see.

I was thinking possibly rhizo, but I thought they had a skeleton also.

panmanmatt

Bob, it has no skeleton. All the ones you listed have hard skeletons. This looks more like a zoa polyp but about 50x the size.

Surfnut

Its a large form of Hydroid if memory serves. I've got 4 different colors of these things. They havent hurt anything in the tank as of yet so I leave em. They wont get any larger than the quarter.

I've a Red one, a Green one, an Orangish one and blue one similar to yours.

Hydroid, Anemone...dunno. Just what the LFS told me when I first discovered these in the tank.

panmanmatt

Its a large form of Hydroid if memory serves. I've got 4 different colors of these things. They havent hurt anything in the tank as of yet so I leave em. They wont get any larger than the quarter.

I've a Red one, a Green one, an Orangish one and blue one similar to yours.

Thanks. Would you happen to have any pics of your's?

Surfnut

If I can find my camera I'll post some photo's later. I've also heard these called "Club Anemones" due to the Mace style of their larger tentacles.