Any S-650 owners modify there set-ups - how?

DaveR11

Just wondering if there are any S-650 owners here who modified their set-ups - and what you did.

The modifications I have on my 650 are as follows:
  • Swapped the Red Sea skimmer for a Deltec 1660
  • Took out the big coarse foam block in the downflow area of the sump and replaced it with filter socks.
  • Swapped out the T5s for Red Sea's LEDs
Things I have added:
  • Spinstreams to the circulation pump nozzles
  • An MP40
  • A chiller
  • A bio-pellet reactor
  • An Apex computer with temperature, pH and salinity probes
  • A 3 channel dosing pump
Bottom line - love the 650

Salty150

• Took out the big coarse foam block in the downflow area of the sump and replaced it with filter socks.

Doesn't the S-650 sump come with dual filter socks?

MAX-S-LED-FILTRATION.png

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Salty 150, the first S series came with filter sponges fall of last year saw the Max S come with a change to a similar filter to the Reefer models

Salty150

Hi Salty 150, the first S series came with filter sponges fall of last year saw the Max S come with a change to a similar filter to the Reefer models

Thanks Kev.

Can you tell me the exact measurements of each of the chambers in the S-650 sump?

Choff

Just wondering if there are any S-650 owners here who modified their set-ups - and what you did.

Yep...

- removed hood in favor of ATI led hybrid power module
- removed electrical box in favor of Apex
- removed sump and built a custom one
- replaced skimmer with SRO XP3000 w/neck cleaner
- replaced the return pump with DC waveline
- added JBJ chiller
- added SRO dual chamber CaRx w/aquarium plants regulator
- added BRS dual chamber independent reactors
- added matrix reactor for additional biological filtration
- added Santa Monica surf2 algae scrubber
- added 2 mp 40s and a riptide for additional flow
- added locline to the return nozzle
- added spin streams to all of the power heads
- Genesis auto water change system

Only the stand and tank remain.

Salty150

Yep...

- removed hood in favor of ATI led hybrid power module
- removed electrical box in favor of Apex
- removed sump and built a custom one
- replaced skimmer with SRO XP3000 w/neck cleaner
- replaced the return pump with DC waveline
- added JBJ chiller
- added SRO dual chamber CaRx w/aquarium plants regulator
- added BRS dual chamber independent reactors
- added matrix reactor for additional biological filtration
- added Santa Monica surf2 algae scrubber
- added 2 mp 40s and a riptide for additional flow
- added locline to the return nozzle
- added spin streams to all of the power heads
- Genesis auto water change system

Only the stand and tank remain.

LOL, is there a reason you chose the Max S-650?

You basically changed everything about it - you paid $5,000 for, as you say, the tank and stand?

Last edited:

Choff

LOL, is there a reason you chose the Max S-650?

You basically changed everything about it - you paid $5,000 for, as you say, the tank and stand?

Fair question. First, I've had the tank shortly after release, so going on 3 years. Second, it was my first reef tank. No matter what tank and stuff I bought back then would all have been replaced by things as I learned the hobby. Finally and most important, my wife wanted it. When we first looked at tanks our LFS had one on display and she loved the look. I wasn't wild about the price and thought I could do it a lot cheaper, but she didn't like any of the other stands. She said if it's going in our living room, it's the RSM or nothing. It's really a beautiful tank and honestly I have no regrets. RS customer support is top notch and I found this place that helped me a ton when I first started out. There were so many of us S owners it was a great little community. I don't post as much here as I used to. I'm more active on my local board now and meeting fellow reefers near me.

It's also not like I yanked all that stuff right away. I moved my sump to the basement and added a couple of 40b tanks for a frag tank and a fuge. So I needed a bigger skimmer and return pump. I just last week bought the ATI light.

I love the Genesis. One of my best purchases that really minimize one of the few tasks I don't enjoy about reefing. It has worked flawlessly and without fail for over 2 years. Simple to install and simple to operate. You just need the space. Oh, and if you have a controller you don't need to buy their ATO component. I use my apex to turn my ATO on every 4 hours, 2 hour differential from the WC cycle so there is no chance for overlap.

Salty150

Fair question. First, I've had the tank shortly after release, so going on 3 years. Second, it was my first reef tank. No matter what tank and stuff I bought back then would all have been replaced by things as I learned the hobby. Finally and most important, my wife wanted it. When we first looked at tanks our LFS had one on display and she loved the look. I wasn't wild about the price and thought I could do it a lot cheaper, but she didn't like any of the other stands. She said if it's going in our living room, it's the RSM or nothing. It's really a beautiful tank and honestly I have no regrets. RS customer support is top notch and I found this place that helped me a ton when I first started out. There were so many of us S owners it was a great little community. I don't post as much here as I used to. I'm more active on my local board now and meeting fellow reefers near me.

It's also not like I yanked all that stuff right away. I moved my sump to the basement and added a couple of 40b tanks for a frag tank and a fuge. So I needed a bigger skimmer and return pump. I just last week bought the ATI light.

I love the Genesis. One of my best purchases that really minimize one of the few tasks I don't enjoy about reefing. It has worked flawlessly and without fail for over 2 years. Simple to install and simple to operate. You just need the space. Oh, and if you have a controller you don't need to buy their ATO component. I use my apex to turn my ATO on every 4 hours, 2 hour differential from the WC cycle so there is no chance for overlap.

Thanks for the reply!

Salty150

Hey, would either of you two be willing to measure the actual viewing height of the S-650? :)

In other words, the actual glass area of the tank height.

DaveR11

Just measured mine. The bottom of the viewable glass is 945mm the top of the viewable glass in 1510mm. The tank has plastic trim top and bottom so the glass extends above and below these figures. Also the tank has adjustable feet to level it so there would a few mm + or - depending on how you adjusted the feet.

Salty150

So the viewing area height of the tank is 565mm? or 22 inches?

Can you tell me the height of the tank itself? 625mm?

:)

DaveR11

So the viewing area height of the tank is 565mm? or 22 inches?

Can you tell me the height of the tank itself? 625mm?

:)

Yes the visible glass 'window' between the trim is 565mm. The actual glass tank is 640mm high. The trim extends below the bottom glass and above the top

Sooren

• Swapped out the T5s for Red Sea's LEDs
Things I have added:
  • Spinstreams to the circulation pump nozzles
  • An MP40
  • A chiller
  • A bio-pellet reactor
  • An Apex computer with temperature, pH and salinity probes
  • A 3 channel dosing pump

Hi Dave
Have you got any pictures of how you mounted the filter socks,
Regards