Any difference in clams?

Gina

RS STAFF
Are there any clams that are hardier than others? And, a good beginner clam?

If all parameters are good to go.....then would it be ok to have a clam or do you need a mature tank?

Also, at what point do you call a tank mature? Our tank has been up and running since 7/03. Everything has been going well. I have always wondered at what point a tank becomes mature.

I am assuming that clams like a calcium reading of 400 to 450. Is that correct?

Barry N.

Sponsor
Are there any clams that are hardier than others? And, a good beginner clam?

IME, I would have to say T. Derasa

Also, at what point do you call a tank mature?

That is a on going topic :) I would have to say a tank is mature when all levels are stable such as salinity, pH, alk and ca. Less swings the better.

I am assuming that clams like a calcium reading of 400 to 450. Is that correct?

Yes.

Also take into consideration your present tank mates and lighting.

Hope this helps.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I'm curious as to the lighting needs. Do different types of clams have different lighting requirements?

Barry N.

Sponsor
Do different types of clams have different lighting requirements?

Good question :) Yes, I will list the clams in order that require low to high lighting.

T. Squamosa , T. derasa , Hoppopus Hippopus,
T. Gigas, T. Maxima and then the T. Crocea

T. Croceas are the most light requires of all the Tridacnid Clams

IMO, I would place Maximas and Crocea under MH. With brown or gold mantle Maxima, they do not require as much light as say a colored Maxima.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Gina

RS STAFF
Another question....would the lower light clams do ok under MH? We have MH 175w. Would those clams have to be kept in a somewhat shaded area or would they be ok in full light?

Also, you said watch what other types of inhabitants are in the tank. Here is a list of what we have....

Dusky Jawfish
Copperband Butterfly
Flame Angel
Orchid Dottyback
False Percs 2
Fireshrimp
2 Sally lightfoot Crabs
Bluelegged Hermits
and Snails

The only creatures I might think would be a problem are the hermits and sallys. None of these bother any of our corals but, thats not to say they might not munch on a clam?

Maxx

Gina I have a Derasa clam in a 20 gallon tank under a single 175 watt 10K MH....this thing is growing like a weed. I havent had it a full six months yet and its added at least 1 1/4 inches to the shell in new growth. I dont think that clams do bad under more light as long as they are acclimated. Barry told me via phoe conversation that his clams are under 150 HQI lamps in shallow custom made aquariums. For the record many people have caompared the 150 watt HQI to the 250 single ended/ mogul based bulbs due to the advanced reflector design which returns more of the available light back into the tank. You should be fine depending on the depth of the tank.
Nick

Barry N.

Sponsor
Gina,

Would have to look up each fish to see if they are ok with clams, I am not sure with all the fish, too many species. But a few stand out in my head that have been known to nip at clam mantles.

Copperband Butterfly
Flame Angel

would the lower light clams do ok under MH? We have MH 175w.

Like Nick stated, I keep all my clams under MH. Place the Squamosa, Hipp and derasa lower in the tank and my other clams are up higher.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I'm not trying to get off topic, but is there a book about clams that is known as "THE BOOK" to have if you are interested in them?

Barry N.

Sponsor
Nikki, The only book out there dedicated on clams is the one that Daniel knop wrote back in 1996, " Giant Clams " we offer it on our web site. It is a comprehensive book. We are currently working on a manuscript and hopefully it will be out mid year. This book will be ABC of keeping and caring of the Tridacnid and Hippopus Clams

There are several good artical wrote by different authors regarding clams as well. The newly released book by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner, "Reef Invertebrates" has a good clam chapter.

Gina

RS STAFF
Thank you for all the info Barry! We'll have to check into which fish are ok with clams. If ours aren't then for now we'll have to skip it. Don't want to get a clam just to have it picked on!

Mary

Evil Angel
Gina,
I had a Copperband and now have a Flame Angel. Neither have ever bothered my clams. I know it all depend's on the fish and it's personality. I hope I didn't just jinx myself! :rolleyes:

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Honestly I would not attempt to keep a clam unless your tank is at least a year old. JMO

A Squasoma Clam is also an easy clam to keep as they do not require the intense lighting that other clams require!

If you do not have any flat surface to put your clam for attachment you can use a half shell and it will attach to that for more stability.

Personally as far as clam size when purchasing one I like to have mine at least 3" or bigger as they can survive more on lighting than on target feeding. Just from my own experience as others may disagree. You can put smaller clams in a bowl with green water and once it has disappeared you can put it back into the main tank.

I found that a squasoma clam moves around more than any type clam I have ever had. No explanation for this but this is what I have noticed with mine.

Yes Gina calcium should be at the right level as clams will use it up quickly in an aquarium along with the corals, etc. Clams can grow quite fast with proper calcium levels.

Here you will find alot of information on clams and their care and requirements. Great reading!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=41&daysprune=

birdman204

I have seen squamosas under 32 w of PC and growing in a mature tank, and I have seen them under 175 of MH so either way, acclimate properly to any new light situation.
I would be wary of the flame angel. But again, each fish is different. I second calfo and renners books, the clam section is pretty well written, along with the rest of that series.

Yep, I like both Knop's Clam book [all sorts of cool info about them, life cycle, farming, etc etc ... really good] and Calfo and Fenner's book has a nice chapter - wish it was more in-depth ... but the rest of the book is real nice too :D

As for clams - do keep in mind how fast they grow and maximum size. Having seen a 18" or so Derasa at the Shedd Aquarium in chicago ... I shied away from one in my 58g [also have a friend with one that's 2 years old in his tank ... about 7 or 8" in size!]

Maximas and Croceas stay smaller, but are more demanding of water quality and light ...

Best of all, clams consume some nitrates. I had a steady level of 0.1 to 0.5 ppm nitrates before getting my crocea ... and now it's been zero [nearly BB tank] ... but then again my calcium/alk dosing requirements have gone up a LOT.

Gina

RS STAFF
Thanks for all the info! Still feel I need to learn more and possibly have a more mature and even larger tank. Well, depending on how fast they grow. We will eventually be getting a larger tank. My tank is only 6 mos old right now. If I get one I want to make sure everything is right. Doesn't hurt to wait..

Witfull

as far as lighting is concerned,, any light we offer is no way compared to natual sunlight. in a tank, i personally believe all clams require MH to thrive,k the fact that they can survive under less lighting is great but as we all know, there is a diference between surviving and thriving!

birdman204

Of sourse wit.
Gina. Might I suggest Croceas if you have MH lighting. They are rock boring clams, and rarely grow over 8 inches. They also are quite slow growing.

caja

I suggest a crocea as well.

I have a crocea in my 7 gal minibow under 70 watt MH. It refused to attach itself to my LR when I got it, it kept tumbling off and landing on my corals, so I placed a small slab of LR underneath it in the sand bed and it attached in a couple days. however it took several weeks for the clam to finally settle itself into one particular spot. it kept shifting itself and it's piece of rock around making a terrible mess in the minibow. sand all over the corals argh!

since that tank is so small, and it's got the 70 watt mh over it it still gets plenty of light where it is on the sand bed.